getting rid of toys

When you go through your kids toys to get rid of How do you decide what to keep and what to get rid of. My kids have SOOOO many toys I want to get rid of some but I dont know where to start.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Start with 2 bins one that are in semi descent condition, but haven't been played with in over a week you can either give away or sell to a kids consignment shop, and the other bin for just garbage. umm start in their toy chest or whereever the toys are kept.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Ones that are to young for them.
    Toys that they have not played with in a while or rarely play with.
    CrzyHome

Answer by CrzyHome at 11:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Do yourself a favor and get rid of anything they no longer play with unless it's something plush and easy to store. Belive me, I have been through this and I still have toys aound and the kid is 16 yrs old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I get rid of broken toys, toys missing peices and anything they havent been seen playing with in more then 3 months. They all go to the dump./

Answer by gemgem at 11:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• When I go through their toys, I get rid of all the broken toys. Then any that they haven't played with in several months I put in a storage bin and put in the shed. Sometimes I will bring back in the toys that I put out there last time. Then it's like they got a bunch of new toys again when I didn't spend a penny.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Do this with your child. Teaches them recognize which items in their lives have meaning, which don't. And how to let go of material objects with ease and grace. When you donate the items they don’t want (and, more importantly, don’t need) it plants a seed of charitable thinking.

1. Together, dump out bins one at a time. Have a trash container and a donation box near by and explain to your child what they are for.
    2.Gather all similar toys and have your child choose which ones they want to keep. You give him the number. Ex: If there are 5 Barbies, say, “Okay, now choose your favorite 2.
    3.Let them put the toys in the appropriate bin. This is part of the learning process. They are making a physical connection to the act of letting things go
    4. Gather same size items ex: doll shoes, Gi joe men and do elimination again.
    5.Give praise as you go through this process.
    sheroeto3

Answer by sheroeto3 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• continued...

6. Remember, this may be hard for them. When they make a choice, say something like
    “I really like how you know which toys you like better. There are a lot of good ones, but you have made some great choices.” And praise their enthusiasm to give to charity:
    “I’m sure someone will really like to play with this.” If they are not enthusiastic, just recognize their feelings and move on.
    7. Don't question your child’s decision to let go of a certain toy. Sometimes our own inner child will scream, “Wait! I love that Strawberry Shortcake house! We can’t give that away!”

This just proves that this is as much an exercise in letting go for us as it is for the wee ones.
    sheroeto3

Answer by sheroeto3 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and I have all those stupid little toys that aren't broken but no one would want them or buy them. What do you do with those - how do you decide which ones go? If I would ask her she would want it and play with it for a while again...help!
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 12:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2009