Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I am new in the daycare field and will be filing my taxes soon...What do you usually average a year as far as food for the children that you claim on your taxes...

Answer Question

Asked by kkjunior82 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I'm not sure but I suggest on googling some sites maybe and keep a log for this year.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • I would look at what you spent the last 4 weeks and multiply that by 12. You really do need to keep receipts in case you get audited.

    Answer by customcat2000 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • I do hope you have receipts and aren't just ball parking it. (that's not bad if you don't have the receipts, but good records are always a plus!)

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • I'm not a child care provider but I have gone through the licensing process. I can tell you, there are MANY write-offs you can get if you are licensed. First off, you need to keep receipts for everything business related. Purchase the food you buy for the child care separately that stuff you use for your family. If you are possibly going to have to wash kids clothes, you can put items like laundry detergent on there also. If you buy any new items for the daycare (toys, furniture, etc) you keep those receipts and you get a write off. If you have to install a fence or anything for safety outside, keep that receipt too. Its a tax write off. I was also told if you hire someone to clean your house then that can be a write off too because it benefits the child care facility. But as far as the food goes, I would say you could estimate by making up an average weekly meal plan, figuring out the cost of that, multiply by 4 for month.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 12:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.