Teacher puts hot sauce on autistic childs crayons and gets her job back!?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-teacher-accused-hot-sauce-punish-job-back/story?id=17034418#.UDPsN91lTVk

An autistic student was repeatedly eating crayons so she soaked them in hotsauce. She did this so when he would chew on the crayons they would burn his mouth and 'make' him stop.

I find this cruel and hurtful to any child but especially a child who may not have had any understanding as to what happened or why. Apparently I am the only one who feels like what she did was cruel. apparently since she did not force feed it to him it as just poor judgement and not cruelty...

How would you feel if your child's teacher (special needs or not) had dome something to cause physical pain to your child as a punishment?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2012 in General Parenting

• My child wouldn't be going to that school any more.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• I think its horribel that she is teaching!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• It is not right that she keeps her job. I'm with AF...my dd would not be going there anymore.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• poor judgement? sure. Something like vinegar would have been more logical as it doesn't contain capsaicin but she was doing it in the best interest of the child as eating crayons is harmful, hot sauce, however unpleasant, is not harmful. like i said, a lack of judgment in the fact that she could have used something bitter rather than spicy, but it was clearly not a "punishment", it was a reinforcement to make him stop eating wax.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• How about the fact that she could have called an iep meeting? Or the fact she could have consulted a therapist or THE PARENTS? No she had no right. It was stupid.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Crayons are non toxic, so they are not harmful - no more harmful than eating hot sauce. She should have definitely come up with another way to remedy the situation. My oldest has autism and used to chew on any plastic toy. I didn't coat all my plastic toys in hot sauce, I simply made sure he didn't have access to them.

Answer by missanc at 4:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• how is a crayon gonna hurt a kid momofone?
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Momofone, she could have just taken the crayons away and not let him use them if he was eating them, which is what I had to do with my child. Putting hot sauce, or vinegar in a child's mouth is NOT an acceptable punishment for a teacher (personally I don't think it is acceptable at home either).

Also, crayons are really not that harmful.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• We'd probably be dealing with assault charges.
    And stupid is correct- there's no way she didn't know better. One of those, "How would you feel" situations.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Everytime I see something like this I am so thankful that I was able to put my daughter in good schools.This is so scary. She should not have gotten her job back. She should never work with kids again.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2012