Should I lie?

I'm thinking of having my son take his lunch to preschool this year. I'm not happy with what they serve (things like "chilimac"). They don't serve breakfast, only two snacks and a lunch. I'm thinking that I'll allow snacks (and of course special treats like birthdays and such) but just bring his lunch. I took his lunch at his old daycare but had to lie about it and say he was doing an elimination diet per his doctor (which was partially true but it didn't really need to be done at school). He already drinks soy milk at school, and they're ok with that, I'm just worried that they might not let him take his own lunch. I can get a doctor's not from his doctor saying it's ok, I did at the last school. I'm just wondering if I should tell them it's because I want him to eat healthier or that I want more control over his diet or that it's because of a medical reason like lactose intolerance.

SaraD1989

Asked by SaraD1989 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Just tell them you prefer to pack his lunch
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Well, if he is lactose intolerant (I'm guessing that's the reason for the soy milk) then, I'd just give that as the reason.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• I would just say that I prefer him not to eat those kinds of things. I really don't see why they would have an issue with kids having their own lunch.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• I don't know that they've ever had that situation come up. He's not lactose intolerant (although the times he does have it, it hurts his belly) we are vegans. I'm surprised I've let it go on this long. A concern of mine is also that at his old school they had him eat alone because "it wont be fair to the other kids." I'm sorry, but these kids are entering kindergarten next year and have to understand that some kids bring their lunch. The director is a former elementary teacher so I'm thinking she might understand? Or say it's for philosophical reasons?
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• I'd just go with lactose intolerance too or whatever will make it work to your advantage. By saying this, it gets what you want. That's the bottom line with no questions. Chilimac....ya, I'd pass on that one too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• I've just been thinking..How can I have him eat so healthy here at home, but eat crap like corn dogs and chicken nuggets at school?
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Just tell them he's vegan. Period.
    We don't eat pork. And I guaran-danm-tee that if any of our schools- they've been to alot- had made my kids sit alone I would've been calling the ACLU.
    His dietary restrictions are up to you and if a kid had to pack a lunch due to a peanut allergy they would NEVER attempt to pull that shit!
    grrr- want a link to the ACLU?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Just tell them that you are vegan and while you don't expect them to conform to your preferences, you would rather send your son with a lunch that you have prepared for him.
    I might let my daughter sometimes eat mac and cheese or chicken nuggets, but I wouldn't want her eating that stuff on a regular basis.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Lately I've slacked with the healthy stuff but I'm getting it together again now that I'm back in school and he started preschool. They've known we're vegans from the get go. They had no problems serving soy milk-I even offered to bring it for him but they said not to worry. So I think I'll just say we're getting back into a more strict diet plan and see where that stands. If it doesn't work, I'll get a doctor's note.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 7:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Quite frankly, I wouldn't give them any reason at all. You're his mother, if you want to send his lunch, you have that right. Period. I would simply tell them that I am sending his lunch and I expect them to allow him to eat it. If you have concerns about him being segregated, I'd tell them that there is no reason for that, and that if they do that, you will be seeing a lawyer.

Too many parents have given too much control to the daycares, schools, and others. Remember that YOU made him, which means YOU get to make the rules.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2012