• In the Spotlight:

My 5 yrs old son is in Kdergarten and is at risk of retention... has anybody had an experience like this? I need advise... He recognizes all the letters and reads 3 or 4 letters words, but when it comes to writing he tumbles a lot, he doesn't like it. I am confused, because I don't really know what the have to know and be able to do at the end of kindergarten.

fairymom526

Asked by fairymom526 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ask him somewhat frequently to draw a picture for you for his very own memory book for him to look at when he's ALL grown up AND it's important for him to WRITE THREE WORD on it, when he's done. He probably be descriptive in his words without being pressured to write a sentence or story and will write more after a while. Try this twice a week with days inbetween to make it more fun. Let him draw what ever kind of picture HE wants to and let HIM choose the descriptive words. Maybe he'll start out with two or one words. .Bet he'll be anxious after a while to fill up HIS memory book. He can even draw a picture of his favorite action figure he has. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• oh P.S. that's Great that your son recognizes all of his letters and knows three or four letter words. At least he knows THAT and not in a lower place of NOT knowing on sight his letters and a couple of words!! Would he want to maybe instead write a book of does 'n loves (what HE does and loves) to teach a little sibling or cousin?
    Anonymous

• I would request an IEP meeting for your son. Ask his teacher how you can help him improve in school. Don't stress out if the school feels your son will be better off being held back in kindergarten, I would be okay with it. I rather my child to be held back in Kindergarten than to always feel he is behind. Good Luck to you

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum/kindergarten

The above is a link to the typical course of study for a Kindergartener.  He is only 5 and I don't think that it's a huge deal if he is struggling with handwriting.  Most boys do!  I haven't read it yet but I've heard great things about "Handwriting without tears".  http://www.hwtears.com/

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Has he been evaluated for fine motor skills by an occupational therapist?

He should be able to easily write his letters, draw his shapes, numbers, etc....He should be able to at least write his name.

(I have two in OT for fine motor skill delays right now)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• As a parent of a five year old kindergartener, it seems to me that your child is on target. if he knows all of his letters and he can decode three and four letter words...he seems to be on track.. My son is in the same boat and he has scored baseline on a reading fluency test. Why are they thinking of retention? Due to his written language? It seems to me that written language is just introduced in kindergarten and mastery isn't expected. My son prints somewhat legibly but he prefers not to. For his fine motor...work on buttoning, cutting, drawing pictures...he still so young...kids progress at different ages...
    sarah4303

Answer by sarah4303 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Personally, I don't think poor handwriting is a reason to be held back. Some schools aren't even teaching writing as a requirement anymore --- everything's going to laptops. Why make him spend an entire year going over material he's already mastered just because of one skill he hasn't yet? Because a 5 yr old has poor handwriting, his entire life is going to be a year behind?

That doesn't make any sense at all. Hell... my dad is in his 70s and my husband's 32 ---- and half the people in this forum probably couldn't read their handwriting!

I wouldn't LET them hold my child back for that reason.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• In our son's school (one of the best in our state) they don't even worry about the handwriting until they hit about 3rd grade. As long as they keep trying and keep working at it, it's okay. He'll eventually get it.

It sounds like he's right on target though. I wouldn't let them hold him back for handwriting issues. If you are concerned about handwriting there are many, many workbooks out there you can get for him to work on at home with you. www.teachercreated.com and www.learningtrain.com has some great options in handwriting.
    Anonymous

• My son WONT write on a horizontal paper. it has to be vertical. so he will write on a easle but NOT on paper on a table. maybe he has a sensory issue here? my mother suggested slowly lowering the easle to a flat position and it has been working. i hope thismight help!
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My now 6yr old did this. Her b-day was the end of July. So when school began kids were already turning 6. She was the youngest in her class. I was soooo very worried. I bought sight words and hung them up all over the house. lol But writing isn't that BIG in Kdg. As long as your child can recognize his letters and the sounds that go with each letter he is fine. Write with him as MUCH as possible. When he begins to get upset remind him, "hey mr. man. it's just writing, you can do it just takes practice like riding a bike!" Helped my DD.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009