How to stop old habits

Currently my son will be 3 in Feb and this year me and his father moved in together. So far everything is OK but once it's night time all hell breaks loose. My son feels like he shouldn't have to sleep alone anymore. He falls asleep in his bed at bed time but anywhere between 2 and 4 am we find him in our bed. I'm always the one to wake up take him to his room. I just don't like the fact that we both sleep so hard that we sometimes don't notice that he's gotten up at night. I work 3rd shit some nights and when I get in after a long night I get home to him and his father stretched out on the bed. His dad doesn't want to wake him so he gets on the couch to let me sleep. Am I crazy here he needs to sleep alone and I'm running out of patients .

waitin4u

Asked by waitin4u at 10:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2012 in General Parenting

• I would just keep returning him to bed when u notice him there. I was lucky with my son. He never really wanted to crawl in bed with us when he was little. I made sure that he slept in his own bed unless he was sick and I wanted to keep a close eye on him. I don't see how people co-sleep lol.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• hang in there, it will change. What about putting a tiny cot or makeshift extra bed in your room, then wean him away from that slowly. it is just a security right now. He is only 3.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Say this is our new schedule. Write it on something so yall can see it (maybe with illustrations) then don't alter it or fall from it for some time (to get everyone used to the new habits.) This may mean staying home many nights, but it is worth it for your child's peace.

FOr example, if you say one bedtime story, then bathtime, don't skip the story because you're tired one night or do 2 stories if you have more time. Then he will think everything is up for negotiation and you want consistency.

For us, we do dinner, (my kids are 6 & 8) and at about 6:30 they put pjs on, and we sit down for bedtime stories, which last til about 8-8:30, then it's brush teeth, hit the hay, We read for a while, because we are pretty big readers, but I have altered this as they have gotten older.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• just keep putting him back in bed. my 3 year old does this too. i try to keep putting her back. some nights it fails though.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:14 AM on Aug. 22, 2012