Post secondary course help (medical transcribing, cosmotology, ect)

I am getting my GED this next week and need to pick a post secondary course to study. I have no idea what I want to be. I have to be able to support me and my two small children. Hubby said he wanted a divorce but will help me with schooling. I got married before I finished high school and thought I'd be a house wife forever, dreams change, huh? I would like to do cosmetology but I'm not sure I can make enough to support me and my two girls in my small town. Has anyone done medical transcribing? What kind of money does that pay? Is there any other course you know of that doesn't take more than a year to complete and pays well? I'm not expecting to get rich, just make enough to support my family. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I took a medical transcriptoin course and I absolutely hated it once I started working. They say you can make $20+ but I think it takes quite a few years before you can get to that point. I can type 125+ wpm and I was barely breaking $10 an hour. You have to look up almost everything because obviously you can't have the wrong medical term. And the doctors I had were so hard to hear. I think you should really look up more information on it to see if it's what you want to do.
    Anonymous

• Thanks you. Did you go on to do anything else? I am open to anything. I really don't know my options, I never dreamed I'd be working.
    Anonymous

• I would avoid the medical coding also, it's very hard to make good money. Even in a small town, if you have the right location, you can support yourself cutting hair.!.!
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2009