Do you think Republican Troy Akin should drop out of the race? After all, his position on rape and abortion is the position of the Republican Party. Why areRepublicans calling for him to resign?

Here is a quote from the Republican position on abortion:

"Faithful to the 'self-evident' truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed," the platform language declares. "We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment's protections apply to unborn children."

An exemption for rape, though, is not included in the platform set to be adopted by the party Romney will officially lead when he accepts the Republican nomination next week.

And Ryan, his vice presidential pick, has opposed exceptions for rape and voted alongside Akin in the House, though Ryan now says he defers to Romney's position on the matter.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/21/gop-platform-committee-approves-tough-anti-abortion-stance/comment-page-11/

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Anyone that would vote for someone that stupid and clueless and insensitive, is going to get what they deserve. Yes, he should drop out
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2012

• After being raped and getting pregnant,you would then have to prove it was a forcible rape and not a consensual rape.

And I'm sure you'll provide us a link to the party platform, highlighting the phrase "consensual rape", right?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2012

• My minister summed it up fairly well yesterday:

"The whole Todd Akin hoopla is more than a little weird. First, the righteous indignation of the Republican hierarchy strikes me as more than a bit hypocritical. I mean, this is not something new or unknown about Akin. Why call for his stepping down when he was worth supporting last week? The opinion he expressed is not new. More troubling still is that Akin represents the perspective of a large minority of people. The same people who are asking him to step down are going to pass a party platform that calls on a ban on all abortions. The truth is that the right wing of the party wants to have its agenda but not be forthright about it. What part of "Thou shalt not bear false witness" do they not understand? Sigh." ~ Peter Morales
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 9:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2012

• The Republican Party position is not that women have some magic fairy dust in them that prevents pregnancy in a case of rape, nor that rapes can be classified into "legitimate" or "illegitimate". Nice try at the smear.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:24 AM on Aug. 22, 2012

• If it's not forcible rape that what is the other kind?

It's a redundant phrase. It's not a sub-classification. Politicians also use phrases like "rough estimate", "past experience" and "advance warning". Does that mean they are suggesting there is also a precise estimate, future experience, and time-traveling post-event warning?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Consensual rape? What exactly is that?

A figment of her imagination for which she cannot provide a valid source.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Consensual rape? Last time I checked that was called, um....oh, what was it? Oh, yeah! Sex!

The man is an idiot. And I'm sure his idiocy will prevent him from going much further.

And I just have to say, their amendment to make clear that the 14th amendment applies to unborn children....it says "persons naturalized or BORN in the US." Since an unborn child is UNBORN, it does not apply. While I might not choose to have an abortion, it's not up to any of us to make that decision for another woman.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2012

• No amount of apologizing is going to change his idiotic statement.....I think it would be wise to bow out now, he is never going to win!

Answer by older at 12:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Since this is my state I feel I can answer.
    At first I thought he misspoke and probably was sent up by the media.
    The media seems to love to try to set up ALL polititians, so frankly they should we watching for it.

Akins had a good chance to win. Even a good number of Democrats want McCaskill out of office. Re reading his remarks (and many people did not have to) I am of the opinion that he can not win. That makes me angree because he has some very good things to say, but getting trapped in a stupid statement by the press is just too stupid to support.
    He had until 5pm yesterday to withdraw without the legistlature having to approve the with draw and the ability for another candidate to run. It will not be a huge hassle IF he will even step out of the race. YES he should and should have done so earlier.
    He does not have the support of the GOP he can not win.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• And I'm sure you'll provide us a link to the party platform, highlighting the phrase "consensual rape", right?

If it's not forcible rape that what is the other kind?

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2012