Circumsicion and Umbilical cords

My son is 8 days old. He had a circumcision with th elittle ring thing!! my first son didn't have this kind.. my question is how long does it take for the little ring thing to fall off!
And with the umbilical cord..i know it takes time for it to fall off..but is it supposed to bleed as it comes off?
It's been 3 years since i've had a baby so i don't remember!

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure about the ring thing, but my son's belly button cord stayed on for about 4 weeks and bled the whole time. I called the hospital and they said as long as it doesn't look infected and smell then it's probably just rubbing against his clothing and that's causing it to bleed.
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The ring should probably be falling off soon. My son's did at 8 days actually. Call your pedi if it doesn't fall off after 10 days or so. Did they give you any info at the hospital? Ours sent us home with a bunch of pamphlets.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i don't remember my sons falling of... but his belly button we just washed with alcohol swabs it kept the bleeding down
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• DON'T USE ALCOHOL ON THE UMBILICAL CORD! it actually preserves the cord instead of encouraging it to fall off. we used gold bond powder on the cord a couple of times a day and that absorbed the moisture and it fell off in three days or so. all alcohol does is disinfect and you can get the same results from tap water if you're afraid it's dirty or whatnot. but the longer you do the alcohol, the longer that cord will stay partially attached. and, yes, when my kids' cords came off they bled a little and were still "yucky" for a couple of days but they healed up fabulously and never had any problems with infection.
    rachelo

Answer by rachelo at 1:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• we used alcohol on my sons umbilical cord and it fell off when he was three days old. (the day we left the hospital) bleeding a little is okay, as long as there is no puss and it doesn't smell..

the ring from the circumcision came off after about a week, i think.. i think the doctor had told us that it would fall off by 10-14 days.. and if it hadn't then to call them.
    lmybo

Answer by lmybo at 1:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• With the ring it will take about the same time to fall off as the cord 1-2 weeks.
    The cord when falling off does bleed sometimes... espcially if the clothes kind of tug on it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My sons cord fell off at 10 days and we used alcohol to keep it from getting infected. His circ ring fell off in only 3 or 4 days. But I was told it should be about a week.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I don't know a bout the ring, but my son's cord bled a bit when it fell off and it's totally normal, just keep it clean!
    Tauria

Answer by Tauria at 2:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• my son's cord bled a little...with every diaper change, I wiped it off with a alcohol wipe and squeezed what alcohol I could out of the wipe and on to his cord. He had no other problems and it fell off sometime in week 2 while he was sleeping. It was in his jammies the next morning.

He didn't have the plasti-bell though....sorry I couldnt help you with that!
    kayjay8806

Answer by kayjay8806 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2009