Someone tell me how to stop this!

My son whines like a premenstral little girl! it drives me freaking crazy!!!! It started while i was pregnant my other son is now 8 days old and my 2 year old has gotten a million times worse!!! Aside from invested in the ear plug stock....what can i do!? I've done everything i can possible think of. He will be 3 march first..i'm hoping it's just a phase that has to do with his age! also he'll be started pre school soon and i really don't want his teacher to have to deal with this!

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is a little his ag..and A LOT that he has an 8 day old sibling. Most likely he feel you spending some much time with the newborn and he wants some himself. Lots of hugs and kisses...make him your helper. It is really hard for him to understand why things are different. Once he knows you're still there for him it will get better. Please understand I am not saying YOU did anything wrong...it is just the nature of 2-4 yr olds and sibling rivalry
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My daughter did that, the whining but it's just a stage that will end. Try to be patient. I know it's hard. Out of all the little stages I found this to be the hardest to get through. She would whine when asking every question..mommy can I have a drink ....even. We told her that she is a big girl and needs to start acting like one. It took awhile but eventually it worked.
    Good luck!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• When you find out let me know.LOL. My 3 year old whines all the time. I hope it is just a phase.
    LND

Answer by LND at 1:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My 3 year old did this for a short time, and like you, I couldn't stand it. I did the infamous "I can't hear you when you whine, can you ask me again in your Kyla voice" and that worked every time. Didn't take too long to get her out of it. Good Luck!!
    SweetPeasMom418

Answer by SweetPeasMom418 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• He wants more attention. I would have him help out with the baby, praise him for being such a good big brother. Remind him to use his words you do not understand what he says when he whines. I would also spend some extra one on one time with him.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• my oldest did this and whenever he would start i would whine back at him to the point where i didnt even know what i was saying- then when i was sure i had his attention i would say do u know wut i was saying? and when he said no i would say see how hard it is for me to understand u when u whine- now please talk so i can take care of what u want- but for younger kids who dont understand as well- i would just tune him out and ignore him- but when he stops then say i do not talk to kids who whine- if u want something talk to me dont whine! but thats wut worked for my first son- it did not and still does not work for my middle lol so i guess try it if it works then im glad if not then im sorry i couldnt help! lol good luck!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Make sure he gets a weekly date with you. An hour or two without the baby, where the two of you go and do something fun and possibly get a small treat. Even something like a trip to the play area at the mall and a cookie at Mrs. Fields will be a big hit. Make sure he knows this is your special time together. You can work this so that hubby has special alone time with the baby while you have alone time with your son. Then, on another day, you switch so both of you get to have weekly dates with each child. This pays large dividends as they approach the teen years if you keep it up.
    And the "I can't hear you" or "I can't understand you" trick can work great. Another trick is to record his voice when he whines and play it for him. Then ask him to say it again in a nice voice and let him hear that.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009