Needing Advice

Hi all moms, I need some advice. I have a 2 1/2 year old little boy and he throws these crazy tantrums that drives me really crazy. I put him in his crib to let him cry it out be he throws himself around and it really scares me that he might hurt himself. He then takes off his diaper and throws it at me. He won't let me get near him or pick him up when he does settle down, he'll start all over again. This will go on for an hour or more sometimes. I have no idea what to do anymore. He doesn't have the greatest eating habit but what 2 year old does, he pees and poo regularly and is happy most days. But when his tantrum comes it comes. I tried to point his attention to something else so the tantrum won't start, it will distract him for a minute or two and then it start. Please help, any advice will be great. Thanks again.

Wendy

sw7wendy

Asked by sw7wendy at 12:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would not put him in his crib while having a tamtrum. His crib should be possitive, it is where he sleeps. My daughter started tamtrums before 2. I went crazy for awhile but realized they do them for attention of some sort. So what I do now is just let her have them. She is 4 1/2, they do not happen very often. I learned by ignoring her, she stopped. She was doing it for attention and when she realized that she will get nothing they just stopped. Now if she has one, I just say to her let m know when you are done, and when she is done we talk. It worked for me.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• First, don't put him in his crib. His crib should be a calm, happy place with no stressful memories.
    Next, when he throws these fits, stay within his sight. He is overwhelmed and struggling to deal with huge emotions - if he can't see you, it just adds to his fear and stress. That's what I learned the last time my daughter did this.
    What I'm going to try next time she throws one of these fits (hah! this afternoon?!?!) is to sit quietly on the floor nearby and hum a quiet song. I won't talk to her or try to calm her down - I'll pretty much ignore her but I'm hoping that staying near her will help her calm down sooner - staying further away or even out of sight certainly didn't work!

Good luck! And if you try something that works, let me know!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2009