Do you make your child do homework if they have mastered the concept?

I don't. Just want to hear your thoughts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope. Master the concept, & move on.... with 2 or 3 little 'reminder' problems (in math, for example) in every few lessons following that one.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If its a graded assignment then yes I do.

Answer by gemgem at 12:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If its required by the teacher then of course.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Of course i do, if he doesn't do it he has to stay in for recess and do it. It's mainly about teaching responsibility and reinforsement of what they learned in school.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 12:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It is not. It is control and busywork.
    Anonymous

• Unless he can get up and teach it better than the teacher, I wouldn't consider my son to have "mastered" anything to be honest with you. Yes, out of respect for the teacher and fairness to the other students, my child will always complete the work that he is asked to do, especially if it is a graded assignment. Good grades=scholarships=me not having to pay any extra for their college! The more opportunities to make a good grade, the better. He'll still do his homework, regardless of whether or not it is graded though.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I disagree Anon 12:47, as a professional student, much of what I have learned Kindergarten through college has been through homework. Depending on the size of the class, the instructor can only go so slow to ensure that everyone understands a concept moves on. Homework is the opportunity for a student to practice it at their own pace, in the privacy of their own home while giving parents the opportunity to participate in their child's learning process.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• yes if it is required. Mastery doesn't mean it will stick with them. Homework helps to refresh and retain..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Yes, I do make my children do their homework. At my girls school if a child does not do homework they have to sit during recess. Even if your son mastered the subject teaching him to be responsible is very important. Homework is usually a review in what the child learned in school, if it's too easy for your son still have him do it. I would also talk to his teacher and ask for more challenging homework.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think your being lazy and don't want to deal with homework hassels. Do your child a favor and teach them responsibility. This is something he'll do right up through college and maybe during his career. Stop teaching him disrespect and bad habits.
    Anonymous