If you are not of the Christian or Jewish faiths...................................

What does your faith say about taking care of the poor?

HHx5

Asked by HHx5 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• A Sikh is a member of the universal brotherhood and every member should live in prosperity. Sikhs are duty bound to give of their earnings and food to the needy, sick, or poor.

“The unique Lord is the Bestower. He is the Giver to all. In His giving, there is no stint.”
    RiskyMom

Answer by RiskyMom at 4:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• Personally, I find it disgusting that anyone would need RELIGION to tell them that they should be caring for the poor or needy... It should be common sense!
    <<<
    What makes you think that religion is the only impetus for helping? That doesn't mean that a religious belief can't reinforce that position
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• In Islam its pretty much the same as Jewish and Christianity and for other religions. We give of what we have a certain percentage (2.5%) and if people have more they should give more.

Create organizations(ie. social services, food banks, etc) that serve the less fortunate.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Muslims are required to care for the poor and compassion for our fellow human beings is supposed to be highly stressed. We are required to give a percentage of our wealth to feed and clothe the poor and to help them with housing. It also applies to orphans as well as the poor.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 6:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Its not about what some leader or rulebook tells me to do. Its about whats fundamentally right as a human being and thats helping my fellowman and being of service wherever and whenever possible.
    LadyLotus3

Answer by LadyLotus3 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• if you believe in jesus you will take care of the poor, faith without works are dead.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:51 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Well... goodness sown is reaped as goodness, so it only makes sense for a person to show kindness to those who are down on their luck. I am Pandeist, but I also follow Jain/Hindu/Buddhist philosophies.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• I'm an atheist/secular humanist and I help because I have a conscience and want to help others.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Almost all religions have a "be kind to one another" and "do no harm" clause. That would be "helping the poor".
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• self-reliance
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2012