May quit my job because i dont think the boss likes me because i have kids

I have three kids ages 4, 3, and 2. I have been at my job almost two years. I only take off if the kids are sick and even then i usually am only gone to take them to the doctor because mother in law keeps them during the day, so i know they are in good hand even when they are a little sick.
Well one of my daugthers has to go monthly to a specialist (atleast right now she dows), and here latley, they have all been getting sick, with ear aches and we had there well child visist recentley too.
There is me and another girl in the office, who cannot do anything by herself. SHe has been here a year and still cant do her job. Well, my boss is gone this week and my MIL called me and said the baby is running a fever and is saying her ear hurts again.
Now let me just say that the co-worker was out yesterday morning all morning, taking her child to an appointment and the boss had no problem with it. She said "oh she can handle it byherself" talking about me.
So i called my boss to see if i could leave at 3 to take the baby to the doctor (it is 40 miles away and the appointment is at 4). She said yes, but i gess tell Jane (the coworker) to just close ther door when you leave so no one comes in. (pretty much told me that even she knows the co-worker doesnt know her job). And i could tell by her tone that she didnt like it. Oh, we normally close our office at 4o'clock anyways. Plus today has been slow customer wise so she might have one customer trickle in and the rest would probably be phone calls.
Anyways i just get the impression that having three small kids is a real inconvience to my boss and get the feeling like she doesnt like me very much.
Would you let it bother you, or just do what you have to do and not let it bother you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2012 in Money & Work

• Your quieting your job over that statement? How does that prove she doent like you? Annoyed, maybe. But not dislike.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• perhaps she was more annoyed that she was bothered while she is gone? I would think if she didnt like you she would fire you not keep you for 2 years??? Is there no one else you guys could have called since she is off?

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• In this day and age of financial insecurity, I would ignore that you think might not like you, don't let this bother you because there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, just go about doing your job and do it well.....

Answer by older at 2:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Unless your boss directly insults you or your children (which would be a financial & legal "no no") I would take what she said as more of insult about the co worker's inability to handle the office on her own, than rather you leaving early. Would your MIL be willing to take them to their Dr. appt's for you? You can sign a Medical POA, giving her permission to have them medically treated. Either way, if you like the job, or need the job, I wouldn't worry about such a trivial comment & just continue doing a good job. GL :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• No there is no one else to ask.
    We work in the District Clerks Office. She is the elected official and is over that office. She is the one that has to give up permission. We cant go to human resourses or any other official for that because she is over that office. It even specificialls says it in the county manuel that it has to be reported to YOUR elected official over the office.
    So my choices were to call and ask or just leave and probably make thing even worse. LOL
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• I was at my job for 20 years. I had 3 kids. They constantly were making remarks because I was always running somewhere, leaving early to make softball practice or a doctor or something. I just kept on going. If you like your job and make money, why would you quit?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• I would think that she is more annoyed that your co-worker has to mind the shop, so to speak. It sounds like she has more confidence in you than your co-worker, otherwise she would have said, fine, co-worker can handle it. Instead she said to close up early. It's more of a compliment to you.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• it sounds to me like she doesnt care for your co-worker who isnt able to do her job. if you are a good worker, good enough that your boss knows you can handle the work of 2 ppl, id assume her aggravation was aimed at the worker who ISNT able to do the work of 1 person, let alone 2.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• I just think that you need to have a talk with your boss covering all of these issues. I'm sure it's annoying as a boss to have very few employees and they all have children with dr's appts. But it's also part of life. So just because she's acting annoyed at the moment doesn't mean she doesn't want to keep you as an employee. I mean for goodness sakes she keeps the other girl who can't even function.......
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• If it is just an exxcuse to quit your job, then use it.
    But honestly. If it had been and and I had one employee I could count on and one that couldn't do anything (right) but for some reason I could not fire her, I would probably sigh (at the circumstances) and look for the best solution, which is to close the door an hour early.
    No big and yes babies that need to go to the Dr. disrupt the day but usually she is there to buffer while you are gone.
    It think you are just tired of the job.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2012