What would you have done?

I have a friend whose daughter had been waking up in the middle of the night for several days complaining of pain in her stomach. It got so bad that my friend took her daughter (6yo) to the ER at 3am a couple days ago. They did an x-ray and found nothing. They wanted to do a CT Scan and friend refused saying that was too much radiation. So she took her home and for the past two days has been doing the BRAT diet (have not talked to her, so not sure if child is still having issues).

The "too much radiation" would never have occurred to me being too concerned about my little one's horrid pain. But of course, I think I would have asked for an ultrasound...

Is that really a valid concern? Would have you refused to have allowed?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 4:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2012 in Health

• It would be a valid concern if the child had already been exposed a large number of times...but not for one scan...I am with you, my child's welfare and to find out where the pain is coming from would be my concern...I would have allowed it for sure....

Answer by older at 4:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• There is more and more hoopla about the levels of radiation going into people due to "needless" scans and such.

I have not gone to medical school, I do not have a medical degree. I try very hard not to tell a professional how to do their job. This includes doctors wanting to do scans to help find out why my baby isn't feeling good.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• My 7 year old has at a CT Scan. I trust medcial science..maybe I should have questioned it but I didn't.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• CT scans do emit quite a bit of radiation, but I think if the Dr. wanted to test for something, I would've asked about the ultrasound 1st. Then if they still couldn't find anything, I would have consented to the CT scan. My son went thru daily chest X-rays for almost 2 wks when he was hospitalized for pneumonia. I thought the kid would glow! I hope her dau is getting better. If not, she needs to consent to further testing. Keep us posted OK?

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• The first thing I did when my little ones had this kind of thing was to check the last time they had a BM. Sounds stupid but that is the main cause of tummy pains.
    Then I would start correcting food choices. If BMs were happening regularly and not having a hard time with them, I would start with things that made them gassy.
    However if it got to the point of taking them to ER, then it was serious enough to have them do the test.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• What would I do? If she is obviously in no imminent danger & they never thought of doing an ultrasound, I would have little faith in that ER's diagnosis so I may have left too. I would bring my child to a Gastroenterologist & perhaps request an MRI. I went to the ER once for massive internal pains & was given a Pepcid & told with a snicker that I had just a tummy ache. Then as I was dressing a new attending Dr. stopped me & said he noticed my liver enzymes were elevated & he ordered an ultrasound which showed I had massive gallstones. they wanted to admit me & do emergency surgery & I told them to piss off & I would not trust any of them to touch me again. I went to my GP the next morning & he arranged for a great Surgeon to do my surgery. He had me wait a few days until my gallbladder became less swollen so I could have minimal laparoscopic surgery unlike if I had not waited & would have been cut all the way around one side.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• do the ct scan. it wont harm the child, if the doctor thought it was dangerous for kids that age then he would not have suggested it. and i am not a big fan of doctors, but when it comes to my kids, my personal opinion would be put aside.
    jessicaj101

Answer by jessicaj101 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2012