How do i get my 2 yr. old to stop.....

Hitting and kicking my dogs? He will just start kicking them for no reason. It's not a hard kick, but he thinks its funny. Ive put him in time out several times and he keeps doing it!

unsure1083

Asked by unsure1083 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell him that if he does it again, then you have to get rid of the dog. My 2 year old did this same thing the other day and I told her that and told her it was mean and he was going to cry. Then I made her hug and kiss him and say sorry and she hasnt done it since.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• show him to love the puppys and pet them with his hand. and then maybe telling him yay everytime hes nice to the dogs and clap and make a big deal about it.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• As soon as i see him kicking the dogs, he lives on them right away. BUt then as soon as i turn around, he kicks them again. He would not understand me telling him that if he does it again, i would get rid of them.
    unsure1083

Answer by unsure1083 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Definitely show him/reinforce with him the proper way to pet the dog.

Never leave him alone with the dog.

If you need to, put the dog in another room/outside (weather permitting) for a bit for the dogs' safety as well as for your sons' safety.

My twins try to kick our Shih-tzu. Fortunately he runs away or jumps up on the back of the couch so he's able to remove himself from the situation. If I can see it coming I redirect their attention.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2009