Does anyone know or have a child with Dissociative Identity Disorder?

My dd has been diagnosed with this. I have been given a wonderful website on it. But would like to know if anyone else has recommendations for either books, or websites with useful information. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2012 in General Parenting

• DID is very rare. Are you sure it's not another dissociative disorder?  How many personalities is she exhibiting?

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• I wasn't asking for judgement on her diagnosis. Nor do I need to explain her issues. I just wanted some helpful suggestions.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Please do not get snippy when someone tries to help you. The fact is that it is rare but not as rare as was once thought. Many of us have degrees in psych and related areas. Personally I would ask if your child is creatively gifted and if she is a victim of incest. I am not asking you to aswer this on hr but these are found inmany but not all who have this disorder. I would get a second or even third opinion. It is very hard to diagnose in a child. You don't want to hear it. Fine. But please do not be nasty when you get an answer it only makes it harder to get answers.
    Oh BTW yeas as a matter of fact I just finished another book dealing with this, since at the moment that is what I am interested in knowing about.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Wow- no one was judging, but from what I know DID can be mis-diagnosed and it is rare.
    My daughter knew someone with it -no longer talks to him though. We had looked for info on it, but it's been about 2 or 3 years, so I'm not sure where we found the info-other than the psychology book she had for class.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• There are many websites for mental illness. 

http://www.igdid.com/  would be a good place to start

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Whose being nasty and snippy? Not I! I didn't feel the need to go into details about my child. I clearly asked a very simple question that obviously cannot be answered. But feel free to continue on judging her diagnosis due to how "rare" it is. After all you do know her! Thanks for the advice ladies! Carry on now. Say what you will. Bash away :0)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• You obviously want nothing that can't be answered with a simple google search. There was absolutely no judgment involved.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2012