Do children still have to have their stool checked for worms or is that a thing of the past?

my five yr old tells me from time to time that inside her rectum itches quite a lot. I know when we were kids, our parents checked us at nite. Just wondering. Thanks

tired1114

Asked by tired1114 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2012 in Kids' Health

• If you are concerned the Dr. can check.
    My parents never checked me at night so I have no clue what you mean by that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Oh and welcome to cafe Mom here is a bump
    Dardenella

• Dardenella

Worms seem to 'come out' at night. You would take a flash light and look at the child's rectum and you might actually see the worms. My mother never checked me, but I have heard about this practice.

None of my four children were ever randomly checked for worms by the doctor. If you are concerned, I would ask them to take a sample.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• This is of course a troll, but my cat does have tapeworms and I've always wondered if any of us humans have them too.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• staci

Why do you say it is a troll? It seems like a legitamate question to me. Humans CAN get worms. My mom had them as a child. She is the one who told me about being checked with a flashlight.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/pinworms-symptoms

and

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tapeworms-in-humans

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Staci...............how the heck do you know she is a troll? She just answer one of my questions and it was legit. We have to stop thinking everyone new is a troll.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Does your child wipe his/her own butt? My dd sometimes doesn't wipe it good enough and it will itch like crazy. My mom always thinks she has worms.

I tell her to always call for me or her daddy if she isn't able to wipe is perfectly clean. Maybe this could be your little one's problem.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• You can use a piece of scotch tape and a popsicle stick and take a sample for pin worm eggs. Make sure that you get a glass slide from the doc's office so that it can be placed immediately.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Well I do know that people can get worms. I had an aunt that would tel us we would get worms if we ate something she liked to eat, like a piece of caramel or a plum. She would come to visit and make these declarations. I am so glad she never stayed overnight now. lol
    She was just a tad bit ditsy.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• I'd think you would have to have some type of complaint/symptom. It seems very strange to me that there were random midnight examinations without someone saying they didn't feel good???
    Chances are she's itchy because she didn't wipe well enough.
    I'm leaning towards stacia on this one!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:37 AM on Aug. 23, 2012