I am feeling incredibly selfish!!!

We have spent the last 3 days looking for our lost cat. I found a woman walking on the street in the neighborhood behind ours who saw her 2 nights ago. So, now my SO is out walking in the dark with a flashlight looking for our cat. I can't go with him b/c our kids are in bed. He said that he would go if I wanted him to. I just feel like we haven't done enough and now I feel guilty that he is walking in the dark looking for our poor cat who has been gone since about 10 a.m. on Sunday.

coala

Asked by coala at 9:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2012 in Pets

• We do things for those we love that we might not otherwise do. Your hubby loves you and is showing his love for you. He is a keeper. I am so sorry your cat has not found her way home. But don't feel selfish because your heart is big enough to care about an animal that your love.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• My dog ran away right after we moved. We had been in our house less than a month and it was snowing outside. A couple days later I wake up to her scratching at the back door. Animals are smarter than you think.

Don't feel selfish. He wouldn't have offered to look if he really didn't want to. I hope you get her back! :)
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 9:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Why doesn't your cat know how to get back home?

Answer by louise2 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• I'm so sorry youve lost your cat!
    You have such a sweet hubby though. First the flowers, then the vacation, now looking for your kitty?!?! He should write a book about how to make your wife swoon!! LOL

We have two cats...but theyre my DH's cats, and he's very much in love with them. If they ever went missing, he'd probably have the whole neighborhood looking for them. They're indoor cats though, so its not an issue (except for when irresponsible people they USED to live with didnt know how to care for them.)
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 9:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• Louise2---she is an indoor kitty. It has done nothing but rain the last several afternoons. So, if she scented anything it has washed off. I keep putting food on the front porch with something that smells like us. I keep feeding the strays and an opossum.

mlmkjw----he is so wonderful. I couldn't imagine life without him. BTW we have 3 cats and the 2 that are still here are so forlorn and sad they haven't eaten much and my kids are just a mess emotionally from this.
    coala

Comment by coala (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2012

• We live in an upstairs apartment, and our cat jumped onto the balcony rail and used it to get to the roof. I had no idea he could reach the roof from there, it is a LONG distance away. We looked for him all day, I cried, the kids called for him, but we found nothing. That night, my husband in his boxers, felt the need to go out and look for the cat. He grabbed the lazer pointer and found the cat right behind our building, in the bushes.

Maybe you/yours should try that, walking around at night with a lazer pointer to see if the cat responds to it?
    I'm so sorry you lost your kitty. Let us know when you find her!
    Mrs.J.

Answer by Mrs.J. at 4:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Does she have a favorite jingly toy or does she usually get treats from a crinkly bag? Also, buy a laser pointer from the petstore. Take those around and see if those noises and lights will bring her out. Cats can't resist laser pointers. I had a roommate once that accidentally left the door open and one of my cats got out. I searched all day and couldn't find him. The next day, he came up to me when I walked out of the house. He was an inside cat and actually it's been a few times that past roommates accidentally let cats out at various places, and they always came back. Also check craigslist and other online classifieds lost and found and pets sections to see if anyone found the cat. Good luck!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Thanks for the suggestions. I have put out 111 lost cat posters. I didn't realize there were that many houses near me. I got one call last night and when I got there the cat took off. I looked similar to mine. They are going to keep their eyes out for her and let me know if it comes back. I will take the laser pointer with me and maybe her favorite catnip (she loves to hear the container open). NONE of my cats will eat kitty treats. They have turned their nose up all different kinds.
    coala

Comment by coala (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Can you borrow one of those humane traps from a vet or animal control? I hope you get her back soon.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 11:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I'm sure she will show up.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 4:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2012