Traveling at 35 wks.

Is it risky to travel on a 5 hour car ride when I'm 35 weeks along? I may have to attend a relative's funeral. I have no complications and this is most certainly not a high-risk pregnancy. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This is a Q for your doctor!
    Anonymous

• you have to stop at least every two hours to walk around for ten minuits to keep your circulation going to your legs so you dont get clots, and you should ask your dr anyway cuz some of them dont like you to be more than an hour a way the closer you get to your due date.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 1:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would talk to your doctor. If you decide to go just make sure you have insurance that will cover you and know where the hospitals are at. Also, like the other person posted you need to stop atleast every 2 hours to walk around and drink plenty of fluids.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would also suggest talking with your doctor - I thought I would be fine traveling 3 hours to my MIL's house when I was 36 weeks along and my water broke. I had to deliver that day. It was horrible. It was my first pregnancy and there were absolutely no complications until then. Your family has GOT to understand if you can't make it, for the sake of both yours and the baby's health. I'm not trying to scare you, just telling you what happened to me.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 2:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• At 34 weeks I moved 1200 miles. It was a LOONG car ride because, like "disheveled" said you have to get out and walk every 2 hours...My doc had me walk for at least 15 minutes. And having to stop and pee constantly. IF you are close to the family member and NEED to attend I would talk to your doc., have a copy of your medical records with you just incase, a gps or map with all the hospitals along the way, and don't forget to walk and drink. However, if you don't NEED to go, stay home. Because just when you think everything will be fine the unexpected happens.
    Cortnye

Answer by Cortnye at 2:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Well, I called the midwife and she said I can travel up to 36 wks.
    Anonymous

• SSSShhh, don't tell my dr. but I drove to san francisco at 33 weeks lol. If your midwife said your good then your fine. Just be prepared: I have literally never been in so much pain in my life as I was for the three days after we got home. I really couldn't walk the back and hip pain was so bad. And I was complelty exhausted for about a week. If it is important to you then go for it. Also ask yourself if you are okay with delivering with a dr. you do not know in a hospital you are not familiar with and then having to travel 5 hours a couple days after delivery to get your baby home, on the off chance that you do go into labor. If you can handle those two things then go for it! Good luck. ps: make sure you chug the water. Obviously it will keep you hydrated but it will also make your bladder remind you to stop about every hour and stretch like you need to to avoid blood clots.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i jsut got back from los angeles and i was 35 weeks. i flew bloth way and we drove from la to vegas and back(4 hour each way) i was completly fine and doc was ok with it too. drink lots of water and stay hydrated. it all depends on your personal pregnancy, ive been completly easy going no problems what so ever, and had no problems before, during, or after the trip. i am now 37 weeks and still feeling great. good luck. remember h2o
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 6:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2009