Any advice?

If you have had a teen daughter runaway and you are afraid of her doing it again and she holds it over your head saying she is going to runaway again when she doesn't get her way how would you handle her? She says stuff like "I'll just walk", "I'll run away again". We live rural 6 miles from a town. We have called the sherriff the times she has done it and are tired of calling them as they can't do anything except bring her back home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Aug. 23, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• i would ask how she planned on supporting herself?
    If she planned on finishing school?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I think it's time for Tough Love. Try this link for ideas.

robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:52 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• tell her to go... tell her if she thinks she can make it on her own then go try it. Ask her who would give her a job at her age. Shoot just take her down to the jail system and do a scared straight on her and make her realize that you aren't playing around.

I know when my son, who is 12, was pulling stuff with me saying that he will just go live with his dad, I made him grab his stuff and started over there with him... But he doesn't do that anymore knowing that his dad doesn't come get him anymore. His dad dropped him off at 12am and hasn't talked to, called, or picked him up since April... some father, eh? My son has straighted up tremendously since he knows that I am basically his saving grace... Good luck because it sure is hard!!
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• So what's going on in your household that you've come to this point?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Honestly, if my kid kept threatening me like that, I'd call her bluff. I'd tell her to go. But this time, I won't call the cops to bring her home. She'll be completely on her own, so she better make sure she knows where she's going to go and that she takes everything she'll need with her. She better have plans for getting her own cell phone (if she uses one I pay for), her own computer, etc. Once she realizes she can't use the threat to get her way anymore, and that you're "perpared" for her to go, she just might decide that not only does she not want to leave, but she doesn't want to keep pushing you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I think I would look into a "bootcamp" for kids for her. Teach her that there are people in the world that will demand respect from her, since you're too afraid too. Sorry, but I think you've passed the point of her making threats, she's just going to go if she doesn't get her way.
    You have the right, if she's a minor, to take her and get her help.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Let her go and then call the police and report her as a runaway.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2012