When you drop your kids off at school......where do they go?

DD was in PreK last year at a huge school (over 2000 kids) and we dropped them off at the door and they walked to their classroom.

She is starting Kindergarten this year at a school that is very small.

But anyways, we are suppose to drop them off at the main gate. The kids play outside on the playground until the teacher comes out and lines them up.

I don't really like that and I'm hoping they will allow her to just go to the classroom. It's so hot and she will be a dirty and sweaty before she gets to the classroom. She is like a boy when it comes to getting dirty.

So do your kiddos play outside and wait for the teacher or do they go to their classrooms?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• she goes to KG at a very small school, we are SUPPOSED to just drop them at the door and allow them to walk to their room alone....too many hallways etc and no security so I have an agreement that I will walk her in and man the book store in the mornings LOL

Texas, I would hate that idea, I would not let mine out of the car until the teacher came out that is just scary to me
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• My kids get dropped off at the black top area outside the school. They play until they have to line up (10 - 15 minutes). They enjoy that time and want me to get there earlier so they can play more. They are fine, they never get sweaty and dirty. My daughter (4th grade) just stands and talks and giggles. My son (first grade) will run around a bit, but running for a few minutes is fine. Don't worry about it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• she walks into the building and goes straight to her class. i drop her off right in front of the school, there are several teachers and the principal outside to help get kids out of the car and direct them where to go
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Our school is very small. When I drop them off they go to the gym, sit in their designated class area, and then the Teacher takes them to their classroom after the principle greets them with the morning message, and they say the pledge. Same thing every morning.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• There are teachers outside watching and I usually sit in my car watching too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:19 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Our school is K-12, so there are a LOT of kids. This week my oldest (8th grade) just started a running club, he has to be there 30 minutes early, so he goes right to the running field. My youngest is in first grade and he just goes to the smaller kid playground. It isn't too bad because they have the play areas divided by age.

As for getting dirty...idk... I always thought that was part of being a kid.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:22 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I will say that at our school there is a LOT of supervision, like at least 10 people outside keeping an eye on the kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• My Ds gets off the bus and goes straight to his Special Education classroom for Priming and Sensory.

My guess is the kids at this school are being supervised? If that is the case then honestly It think it is a fabulous idea. They are running off their extra energy and will be ready to come in and get to work. A little sweat or dirt is not going to hurt her and the added time to get that extra energy out playing and socializing is going to help her have a better day of learning.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I would not like that either. We will start in Sept., we are to drop off the child with the teacher and then they all walk together. I want to leave knowing that my daughter is with an adult.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 23, 2012

• k-2 are dropped off at the main entrance, and they go to the gym, check in with their teachers, drop their backpacks, and head outside for a few minutes. there are several duty-teachers outside, too. they begin lining up, by class, at 7:50am to head back inside, then proceed to their classes. class starts at 8am.
    he usually gets to the main entrance with about 5mins to spare.
    we spend anywhere from 15(if we're lucky) to 25mins in one of 4 dropoff lines (each coming from a different road off campus, but all merging into the same main campus road. its hell.).
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2012