Homeschooling

My husband and I are leaning heavily towards homeschooling. So I was hoping that some of you moms could help me out. I really have no idea where to start. My son will starting preschool so this whole thing is very new to me so any help would be welcomed. Thank you.

Justins_mommy05

Asked by Justins_mommy05 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2012 in

• Since you're starting with pre-school that gives you plenty of time. You have to decide why you are homeschooling, is it for educational reasons, religious reasons, social reasons, then incorporate that into your plan. Research the laws on homeschooling for your state. You can contact your local school district for more information on that.

Then, check into local homeschool groups that have the same philosophies on homeschooling as you do. You will find there are religious homeschool groups, social homeschool groups, groups that incorporate education, such as public speaking, book clubs, p.e., etc.

For pre-school just decide how many hours a day you want to do school, and you can find workbooks,etc., at your local teacher supply, and also at Wal-mart and Target. There are plenty of online resources with projects and worksheets that are downloadable for pre-schoolers.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I also downloaded our states academic standards for each grade level and made sure we met those standards.

Find a group for support. You will need it.

For me, homeschooling was one of the most rewarding parenting experiences. Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I keep seeing this advertised on TV: http://www.k12.com/
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I would bump heads with my kids if I had to homeschool them. I also know that my kid wouldn't listen to me when it came to work assignments. It's better that they are in a school situation.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Sadly the school system around here isn't the best they just pass children by seeing that my son is a little behind he will just be passed by I have seen it was too many times to take my chances with my son. I also know from personal experience when I was in this school system I was just passed from grade to the next. I tried my best but I was never given the help I needed. It's pretty said when a 9th grader is at the reading level of a 5th grader. And even now I have younger family members in the school system and I see them being passed from grade to grade. I owe it to my child to give him a head start.
    Justins_mommy05

Comment by Justins_mommy05 (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2012

• No idea. That is something I would never attempt.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• Check your state laws. Look for home-school groups on this site and in your area. Research, research and research.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• Home school laws and regulations.

a lot of curriculum choices 

Great Blog , Another blog

when I was homeschooling my preschooler and considering home schooling my special needs child these are the site I used the most.  I have since decided to send them both to school and supplement at home so I still use many online resources and weekend 'field trips' for enrichment. 

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• I would check online forums for your area and see if there are homeschool mom's groups. I don't homeschool, but I do know that there are groups of parents that do homeschool and they will organize outings for educational purposes (like museums and such, larger numbers of people get better admission pricing at some venues). They would know the ins and outs of your state's requirements and curriculum.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2012