Vacationing with out your child?

Seen this on GMA. How old do you think your baby/child should be before leaving it with a sitter or family member to go on vacation?

I think if you trust the person you are leaving your child with. You have no problem with it. The child is healthy. Newborn if you want.

Asked by louise2 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Newborn I will never leave. I dont know about the age I guess anything pass a yr. Parents deserve a couple days away from their children sometimes.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• That is hard... i my inlaws will take my ds for a few days but he was 2 when it started.. but i don't sleep well..
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 5:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I left my kids with my parents at age 2 and 4 to go on safari in E. Africa for my 10 year wedding anniversary. I'd do it again too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I have never been away from LO for more than one night and that has been 3 times I believe, he is 3. I don't see a problem with it as they get older but 10 weeks for more that one night seems a little crazy to me, unless there was an emergency.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I could never do that. The kids make it fun. We would miss them terribly.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I once let my 10 year old stay the night at my sister's house when he was 3 years old, and I was away from him twice when I was in the hospital. I haven't left my 7 year old overnight. I would not go on vacation without them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Here baby was 10 weeks old when she went on vacation for a week.

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• My youngest was about 18 months old before we (I) felt comfortable leaving both my kids with a family member for more than a few hours. Even then, our "vacation" was only a weekend away, a few hours away. It was, and is to date, the one and only anniversary we did something more than just dinner at a nicer restaurant.

I know what you're talking about and going on a two week vacation, leaving a 10 week old behind is WAY too young.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Well my job requires me to travel for work, and so does my husbands,, we have been fortunate enough that 9 times out of 10 we are gone at different times,, we went on vacation when he was 1 year old for 8 days,, it had been paid for 2 years before he was even a thought in our head,, now that he is 7 we go on weekend getaways,, but for a full blown vacation will take him with us from now on. I thought I was going to go nutty on the 4th day when he was 1,, and won't be away from him that long again,,

I had won a trip to Dubai,, when he was 8 weeks old,, I would have been gone 14 days and bypassed the trip,, I think it is fine to leave your kiddos,, for a short time,, but not long (over 7 days) the older they get the more they realize the amount of time you are gone,, so IMO,, you want a week take it when they are little.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• The first time we ever leave DD overnight with someone will be for our honeymoon. She will be 3 1/2.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2012