Vacationing with out your child?

Seen this on GMA. How old do you think your baby/child should be before leaving it with a sitter or family member to go on vacation?

I think if you trust the person you are leaving your child with. You have no problem with it. The child is healthy. Newborn if you want.

Asked by louise2 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Overnight I would do at whatever age as long as I trusted the person watching him. On an actual week long vacation, I don't know. His dad and I are divorced though so I can go on vacation by myself anytime he is at his dad's. I prefer going with him though. Leaving a 10 week old for a week is a bit ridiculous to me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Dh and I won a free weekend at a local hotel. My kids were 2 and 4 at the time. My parents came up and stayed here with them while we went to the hotel. We were in the same town in case there was a problem. I trusted my parents and my kids were comfortable with them.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I think for me personally, I could only be away from my child for one night if my child was under 1 year. At age 4 or 5, I'd be comfortable being gone up to 4 nights.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• I find it really is up to the parents. My own child was nine months when my husband and I went away for an extended vacation. His grandparents came to our home and cared for our child. I am certain he was fine with two nurses being his care givers for the few days. Since then he has enjoyed many times visiting and vacationing with his grandparents without us. I have not taken an official vacation away from him. More like he vacations woth us and again with his extended family. From beach trips to simply going to the large city near us. I would not for a moment criticize a parent's need to be away. People have all kinds of reasons, frompost partum depression to a last minute once in a life time opportunity. Oddly enough my husband and son are vacationing away from me this weekend. A father son trip. And I am looking forward to it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2012

• My SO's nephew and his wife left for a 2 week cruise when their son was 3 weeks old. No joke! A guy I went to HS with just left with his wife to go to Disney Land and their baby is 1 week old.

No way in hell would I do that !!! I think SO and I left my dd for the first time when she was 3 years old. It was only overnight and we just went to San Antonio (not far away).
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2012

• With my mom? the youngest I've left them overnight was at 8 months. With my MIL? 12 months. With my husband? 11 months. I've never left my kids for more than 3 nights though.

Answer by missanc at 1:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• Until fairly recently we did not go anywhere without our children, They are grown now but there were tw weekends. One theeir grandfather stayed with them while we had training, the other was a funeral at an extremely bad time of year and school exams were on. They stayed with respective friends.
    Trip took longer than expected as well. I called a lot.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Our son stayed overnight with relatives when he was very young. He was the first male grandchild and everyone wanted to babysit. As long as you trust the person the kid is staying with, I don't see a problem.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:10 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I didn't leave my kids to go away with my husband until they were 4 and 6. It was only for 3 nights and I was crying as we drove away. We had fun though. Now we do it every year for a few nights.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I haven't yet in 3 1/2 yrs. I did go away for 3 months for school. It was not my choice but man it felt like a vacation. I love taking her places because I love the excitement to share with her the first time she experiences things. I have traveled with out her here and there for other reasons but not vacation. just feels odd. even though to celebrate my graduation i have yet to go away with some friends. we were planning it but again we are poor so we are waiting to do it when we all have our jobs and settled in to do a girls weekend away. mommy needs some time. 10 weeks does seem rather young but its only a week its not months. to each their own.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2012