Why must we have to tell our children to do something 10 times?

I get so frustrated when I have to tell my 3 year old to do something! I have to yell to get her to do something and then i feel bad! Any suggestions on how to get her to take clothes off. put y=toys away, etc. without telling her 10 times and yelling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• you find out let me know cause mine is 6 and still doing it.
    YamahaGoddess

Answer by YamahaGoddess at 2:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• shes a 3 year old. their minds wonder around.... its typical... try getting on her LEVEL and calmly tell her while she is looking AT you.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Don't let her do anything else until she accomplishes the job. Guide her hands literally. Take her by the hands and pick up the items with her. When she does, compliment her on what a nice job she did.
    Anonymous

• I am in the same boat...I have a 4 YO and a 3 YO who don't listen at all!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 2:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• selective hearing :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It's because you do not make her listen. You have to follow through with EVERYTHING you say. My son used to shake his head no at me. I would walk over to him, grab his hand and clasp it over the top of his, take him to the toy, put his hand down with mine over the top and make him pick up the toy, then walk him over to put it away. If there are other things you do not follow through on she/he does not take you seriously.
    Anonymous

• I think you need to give a consequence for not listening the first time.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have the same problem with all 3 of my kids, they all have selective hearing.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• You could put up a chore chart like i did, they can be found at Hobby Lobby or you can print them out online, just google, free chore charts, well whenever she gets however many stickers or smiley faces you want her to have, she can get into the treasure box (a shoebox or cardboard and she decorates it,) TRUST ME THIS WORKS, when she doesnt want to do something, you say, well i guess you dont want to get in the treasure box then? and kind of shrug your shoulders, more than likely she will do what needs to be done, ALWAYS praise her when she does a task and she can even put the sticker on or pick it out herself, it will boost her self esteem alot, try it today! Hope i helpled
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Mine are 4, 3 and 2. If they don't do what they are told...they are sent to the corner to stand until they decide to do what they were told.

I get the "I didn't hear you, Mommy"...repeat what I said and they go do it.

That's when we started a few weeks ago. Now, if they don't do what they're told I only have to snap my fingers, point to the corner and they're off to do what they were told!!! LOL

Yeah...selective hearing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009