Isn't Obama actually expanding the faith-based initiative?

What do you think?

White House to expand faith-based initiatives
By Andrew Ward in Washington

Barack Obama on Thursday announced an expansion of government support for faith-based initiatives and promised to reach out to religious leaders around the world to challenge extremism and persecution.

The president’s White House office of faith-based initiatives and neighbourhood partnerships will build on a similar program launched by his predecessor, George W. Bush. But Mr Obama said his office would not favour one faith over another and would be open to both religious and secular groups to avoid “blurring the line that our founders wisely drew between church and state.”

“Whether it’s a secular group advising families facing foreclosure or faith-based groups providing job training to those who need work, few are closer to what’s happening on our streets and in our neighbourhoods than these organizations."

momtokate

Asked by momtokate at 2:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• to challenge extremism and persecution

I think that this is his ultimate goal and was a goal of Bush's.
    Anonymous

• I would rather see money go into groups to teach people to do things instead of going to people to do nothing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• yeah, but they both go about things in a totally different way.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Something else I disagree with Obama on. Unless he does a total overhaul; because according to what I have read the Faith Based Office was was more about currying political favor than actually helping anyone.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Not Panicking - Huh? I don't understand your comment. How does support of faith-based initiatives translate into "money going to people to do nothing"?
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 3:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It doesn't - it translates into money going to secular and faith based initiatives is teaching people, as opposed to going directly to individual people who will sit and do nothing because they don't need to.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think that Obama is fence-walking....which is something he's gotten really good at. He will tell whichever group he's talking to, that he will do something for them (even if it smothers someone else's rights), and then when there is an outcry from the people getting smothered, he will tell them what THEY want to hear. At least Bush took a stand on things. We knew where he stood, even if we didn't like it. I don't like fence-walkers, because I never know if they're telling the truth.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think it's a good idea in theory. Faith-based iniatives do a lot of good. I do worry about the separation of church and state, though.
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 4:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think that ultimately, people of faith should keep looking to God for help.

I doubt if I want any kind of Barack Obama's faith-based anything...........
    Too many strings attached .
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Don't you think God works through people? We are supposed to care for each other as we would care for ourselves, are we not?
    momtokate

Answer by momtokate at 4:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2009