Does anyone have kids who won't/don't really have any cousins?

I'm an only child and my husband only has a brother who has one daughter and says he's done having kids. So our son will only ever have 1 cousin. I grew up with dozens of cousins so I'm kind of sad for him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My kids have only 1 cousin within driving distance. The others are much older and live a plane ride away, we only see them once a year or so. Also, my kids only have 1 grandparent, the rest have all passed away. I remember big family holidays and gatherings when I was a kid, it kills me that my kids won't ever have that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My kids have 1 cousin from my side of the family and he's 15 years older than my oldest. There are only 2 cousins on my husband's side (and probably the only ones they will have) but they live so far away that we haven't even seen them in 3 years.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I also grew up with a bunch of cousins that lived in different states. We were a big family and it was nice to have kids to play with. My kids have none, as my dad's family has disowned me after my parents divorce and my mom's fam is crazy! My DH and I just had a talk about this yesterday, how we wish our kids had those connections.
    Anonymous

• My dd probably wont have any cousins and if she does it's going to be a long time. My older brother is married but she's handicapped so she cant have any kids and my little brother and sister are 14 and 12, so they better not have any for a long time. Her dad has an identical twin brother who has been with his girlfriend forever but she HATES kids and his older brother loves being a bachelor. Then his step brother we don't even see very much. So, it's sad because I have about 20 cousins and loved growing up with them. So, I know where you're coming from. : (
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 2:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• well i have 2 sisters and 1 brother. my husband has 2 sisters. one of my sisters is pregnate (due april) and his sister has a little boy almost a year old. my son is 2 but my husband is in the airforce so we wont be able to see our family very often (once a year). so its almost like he has no cousins
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I grew up with 4 cousins who were all a lot older than me. We hardly saw each other(even to this day). I can, pretty much, count on one hand how often we saw each other in my 36 yrs of life.

My 3 sons have 4 girl cousins and one boy cousin. The girls are all around my boys age but they live like 8 hrs away and never get down here to visit and vice versa. Their mom and I arent super close and when she does come to visit my mom we can never seem to "connect".

I feel bad they wont have too many cousins to hang and grow up with,etc but such is life sometimes.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I do have two sisters and one brother who have children. Unfortunately, they are not part of our lives. My parents also have very limited involvement with my children so my kids really only have one grandparent between the two of us which is my DH's mother. It does make me sad sometimes but given the families that me and my husband come from I think it is better off this way. To be honest, that is way I insisted on at least two children. They will at least have each other.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 2:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My daughter has nine cousins - all of them live far away and all but one is way older than her. She'll never really know them except for the occasional family get-together. It is kind of sad but I never knew my cousins growing up either. I was a military brat and we were never stationed anywhere near family.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My little boys are the youngest since I am the youngest of my family. They have 6 cousins nearby who are between 9-17 which is kind of nice but there's such an age difference that the older ones say & do things that the little ones shouldn't necessarily hear/do. Most of the time they are all great with my LO's and my LO's love their cousins like crazy.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 2:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My brothers are all younger and without kids yet, so my kids don't have any cousins yet. They have second cousins, they are actually my cousins, but are the same age as my kids, so I guess they really don't know the difference. But all our family is 1300 miles away, so they never see them anyway. That's what friends are for!
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2009