Would you be frustrated? Obama isn't to blame, but is he REALLY any different than Bush?

We have family outside of Madisonville, KY that have no heat, no water, they cannot even get out of their house because the driveway and streets are covered with broken trees and powerlines. My husband is trying to get off work drive 2 hours north and take his chainsaw and see what he can do. That is the what we do. Help each other. But many are saying-What a double standard! The press and democrats were merciless in their attack on Bush and FEMA after the Katrina Hurricane. Where was the federal government? Where was Bush? Bush hates black people. By those same standards, who does Obama hate? Well, scores of people are dead from the mid-west ice storm. Power is still out to millions. Where is Obama. ( on his way to a Democratic Spa Retreat) Where is FEMA? Fema has dropped off 151 gens at Ft Campbel, but they are for bus/govt not Citizens.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think there are 2 problems here.
    (1) The Media. They dictate the level of urgency, they built the hype for people to disapprove the way Bush handled Katrina. AND they dictate the lack of attention on the Ice storm so no one WILL compare.
    (2) FEMA is flawed. That isn't Bush entirely and it isn't Obama entirely. But I guarantee liberal will blame Bush before they will even attempt to hold Obama to the any questioning or accountability.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Fema gets MIXED Reviews

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/03/national/main4771459.shtml
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/18334.html
    Anonymous

• Op. You are right. He is no different. Maybe the Democrats should NOT have been so quick to blame Bush.
    Midwesterners/Mid Southerners don't ask for help, and I am glad we don't. If we acted like New Orleans, and ignore the warnings and EXPECT help, many more would have died during ths storm. GOD BLESS TRUE AMERICANS.
    Anonymous

• You are sooo way off.

Katrina was an entirely different situation. People had NO WHERE to go, no food, no nothing. And, they were running from WATER where people were drowning to death.

In Ky, yeah, weather happens. Not trying to be mean-but people should be prepared for not having electric. Its not as though we live in a world where we will always have utilities.

Please stop comparing to 2.
    Anonymous

• So then, thousands would have to die in a liberals opinion in order for this to be worth the frustration? That's way off if you ask me.
    Anonymous

• OH yeah, take it from me, I asked myself the very same question on day 2. Where were the EMA services for Missouri?? Local men with chainsaws and trucks took care of most of our major roads, had it not been for do it yourselfers, we would have waited 4 days until the Nat'l Guard finally showed up. We have one county here in southeast MO that has every power pole down on it's one major highway. It was something like 162 poles lying on the thoroughfare. We had 35 cities without any access in or out of town and no electricity, not to mention the small towns and townships.

akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Katrina was an entirely different situation. People had NO WHERE to go, no food, no nothing. And, they were running from WATER where people were drowning to death.

These people in Ky have no where to go. They are freezing in their homes, no heat, no water. Some even freezing to death. So, I guess more will have to die in your eyes? That is sick
    Anonymous

• How was Katrina so different? They were given warnings, were they not? They were, and decided to stay, ignoring the warnings. When they interviewed people, they would interview the most pitiful, ignorant people they could find. Weather happens, sure. But with snow storms, you aren't given as much warning, not like with Katrina. And how many Katrina victims are still wanting a hand out? The two presidents very much CAN be compared. You, go figure anon257, feel the need to compare Katrina victims with those who are in trouble because of winter weather. You say they are not the same. You can't compare those two things and say we shouldn't compare the 2 presidents.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Its good to rely on each other to get stuff done in a community. I don't know why people can't take care of themselves and their neighbors more often.

I think that it would bring a better sense of community instead of crying about who DIDN'T do what-praise who did.
    Anonymous

• Which, btw, while I was in the dark with no television, did Obama ever come on T.V. to mention how his heart went out to us suffering? Did he mention AR, MO, TN, or KY at all??? He was busy buying hundred dollar steaks for his Super Bowl Party.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2009