Should I let my 18 year old daughter stay at a hotel with her boyfriend on Prom night?

should I let me 18 year old daugther stay in a hotel with her boyfriend (whom is great) on the night of her senior prom? they have been dating for almost 2 years and I know they are having sex and are protected.

pepperannrocks

Asked by pepperannrocks at 2:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• All of the answers saying, "she's 18 and has the right to do whatever she wants"-- sorry, but I have to disagree! I'm assuming since she's going to prom that she's still in HS and living under your roof. I don't care how old my kids get to be, if they want to live under my roof, they will follow my (and hubby's) rules. And for us that means no premarital sex (well, at least not with my approval), so I would have to say NO WAY to your original question.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• She's 18, they are already having sex, she's about to be out on her own where she'll be able to spend the night wherever she wants whenever she wants. I'd let her go.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• uh for my family that would be a big neg-a-tory ghost rider.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Well they will most likely do it anyway so I would probably just let them. My parents told me No and I just lied and said I was going to after prom but instead went to a hotel.
    Anonymous

• Well, she's 18, you seem to approve of the relationship and know they have safe sex...I don't see why not, as long as you're sure there won't be any drug/alcohol use.
    Anonymous

• Wellllllllll you have already given them permission to have sex, so why do you now get a choice?
    Anonymous

• well she is 18 so im assuming she will just do what she wants regardless of what you say. If you know for a fact they are having safe sex and you truly like the guy and know there wont be any drugs and alcohol and you will have a phone number to where they will be then id say go ahead and let her go. shes going to be on her own soon and will be able to go where she wants anyway.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I can almost guarantee that they will have sex anyways that night. There's no harm...she is of age. I would let them. At least she asked, that's a good thing :)
    Anonymous

• Yea, she's 18. there's not much you could do. My dad allowed me to stay at a hotel with my boyfriend on my prom night. I was 17 my boyfriend 19 and we had been together over 2 years by then :)

We did have alcohol, just a small amount (like a 6 pack for the two of us) and it was just us and very very nice! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If you like grandkids you should
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2009