Should you give children vitamins?

I saw on the news today that you shouldn't give your kids vitamins if they eat nutrtious foods and drink milk! My daughter eats some veggies, plenty of fruit and milk. They were saying that it could cause more harm than good to give them vitamins if they eat good! So should I stop giving her vitamins?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter eats fairly well but we give her animal parade vitamins.. I don't buy most news reports unless they can be backed up by more than 1 doctor.... and not just "speculation".
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• On the bright side, most vitamins that your body doesn't use are just washed out in your pee - so from that perspective, why not give your children vitamins to cover those nutrients they are not getting - eating a healthy diet doesn't guarantee that you're taking in all the vitamins and minerals that keep the body at optimum performance. Fruits/veggies and milk aren't enough and unless you're eating different fruits and vegetables from all color groups and eating whole/multi grains to cover the entire spectrum, you're not getting the full range of vitamins and minerals. You have to look at the whole food picture, and vitamins are designed to fill in the blanks, especially those you may not be aware of. The body will process and get rid of that which it does not need. And vitamins are like everything else - follow the directions and consume in moderation only.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Our pediatrician says my boys don't need them, so I don't give them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It can cause harm. While too much of the water soluble vitamins generally just means pee with lots a vitamins in it, too much of some of them can cause problems. For example, too much vitamin C for example will actually weaken the immune system. And too much of the oil soluble vitamins can cause bigger problems - and they don't end up in your pee, they end up stored in body fat.
    If your kids eat healthy, there is no need. If you really want to give vitamins to be safe, give 1/2 or even 1/4 tablets. Be sure to read the directions on the package too. Centrum Children's says that younger kids should get 1/2 tablet but I bet lots of moms hand over a full tablet to their preschooler.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Perhaps this is a discussion you should be having with your child's doctor? Your child's doctor should know your child's nutritional needs based on age, weight, and sex, then add in what she does it and how well, what variety, etc., then with knowing all that you can figure out if your child needs extra vitamins or not.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Hmmm. I give them vitamins and vitamn d supplements but we live where there is no sun. Good question.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i give my son age 3 flinstons only 1/2 of 1 every am. but doc said to he had some lead in his blood ( they had him tested due to our house being over 100 years old ) but it was just due to not enough iron. i have to hide meat in his food lol. otherwise he will just eat the potaots or noodles. corn.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I give my children a multi-vitamin everyday based on my ped's recommendation. My oldest and youngest eat pretty well...balanced and healthy and aren't afraid to try new things. My middle child is very picky and resistant to new foods so he gets the vitamin with extra iron in it. They seem to be doing well so I'm not to concerned.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 1:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Being in the vitamin industry I am biased. I give my daughter a liquid multi-vite every day and vitamin D. If your baby is eating a lot of fruits and vegetables then the vitamin is just helpful. However, if she lives on waffles and bread the vitamin is a must.
    Bloomen

Answer by Bloomen at 11:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2009