My daughter is in her 20's

I am so afraid something will happen to her that I walk her to her car if she is leaving after dusk. I make her call me if she is leaving work and its dark and we stay on the phone until she is in the car and pulling out of the drive. She calls when she is home and I walk out to the driveway to walk her in.

I just worry so much about her, I just stopped having her call every time she arrived somewhere during the day.

Anyone else worry this much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• You should probably just drive her around it would be much safer. The are kidnappers everywhere just waiting to snatch up kids and adults alike. Get in your chopper and helicopter baby
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 4:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• I think you need to stop being like that. She's an adult and can take care of herself. Sign her up for self defense class and buy her pepper spray and stop requiring that from her. All parents worry but worrying to much can push your kids away.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• Not really.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 4:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• Just remember when you were 20.. You were a young adult & didn't want anyone worrying after you, not constantly anyway. She will be just fine!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• Have you sustained a profound loss, OP? I know that sometimes when someone loses a family member or goes through a loss type of situation, they compensate by trying to hold those close to them even closer.

I mean this in the most constructive way, but maybe you should seek therapy.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• Really, that is a bit excessive. I mean she is 20. She won't be picked up by the child perv's anymore so she should be fine. You are a little off base and out of touch with the times. Now a days you should be with her on campus instead of worry about her at night. Much more likely to be picked off by a sniper than kidnapped. Just sayin.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• No, that is excessive
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• My boys are 20. 23 & 29. Two are living on their own. We live in Los Angeles, so there's plenty to worry about, but I do want to respect that they're adults. I ask the one who lives at home to call or text me and let me know he's arrived safely at his destination, and to call and let me know he's on his way home. I ask him to call if he's going to spend the night somewhere else.

I think having her talk to you while walking to her car at night isn't a bad idea, but having to walk her into the house at home...might be over the top, unless you live in a really bad neighborhood.

I'm a protective mother, and I always have been, but I do think at some point you have to let go.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• You need to back off; she's an adult and this kind of smothering may force her to distance herself from you.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• I thought I was bad,, lol,, just try to set a limit,, call her one time per day and that is it.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2012