Preparing my toddler for baby #2

My DS is almost 28 months and our DD is arriving Oct. 5 (if not sooner!) Any little tips on how to best prepare my DS for the big change? We have done alot of "textbook" suggestions such as working with him on patience, sharing (haha), and being gentle with the baby. I just wanted to know if there are any really good tips from moms who have been through it :) Thanks!

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2012 in General Parenting

• We just started talking about the new babies when my belly got big enough for them to notice. "When the new baby gets here", we will.............Honestly, none of ours ever missed a beat, and they were never jealous of the new baby. Ours oldest 2 were 3 years apart and there was 3 1/2 between the next two. I think if you are laid back about it, they will be, too. Our children were pretty disciplined, and that could have made the difference, too.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• Check out your local hospital to see if they have a program for older siblings. Ours does and it's great program. Talk to him about being a big brother and really play it up as being something really important.

Make sure when people come to see the new baby and bring gifts, you have some small thing for him, too. Get some things from the dollar store, wrap them and put them away. If someone comes with a gift for the baby give them the wrapped gift so they can present it to your son. It will make him feel important, too.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 5:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• The best advice I've ever been given is actually for in the hospital.
    When big brother is brought to meet the new baby DO NOT be holding the baby. Have your son sit in your lap for a few minutes. Tell him how much you love him, ask him about his day, etc. Make it a few minutes of just him. Then have someone else bring the baby to you and your son. This shows him that the baby has not taken his place in your arms and that the baby belongs to you AND him. Its not some intruder taking his mama away.

None of my kids had problems with jealousy with the babies that have come after them. Dont know if this is why...but I sure think so!
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2012