After being a sahm for yrs how did you handle going back to work??

I had not planned on going back to work for another 2 yrs or so (until my youngest 2) was in school full time. but now, because of circumstances out of our control, i am heading back to work. just part time.... but still this is very hard for me. i know it is just as hard on dh. has anyone else had to go back to work sooner than they planned? how did you handle it and what compromises did you make with your dh?

ArmyWifeMomof3

Asked by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• If however you do decide to work outside the home the best thing I can say is make a schedule. Start by listing all the things you need to get done in a week... Then figure out how you can place things in to your week without killing yourself. Remember to leave a little time for you to have time with you... Otherwise you will go crazy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I no longer vacuumed every day, in fact my husband did take that over once a week. I only cleaned the kitchen floor once a week. I planned meals on the weekends and did what cooking I could then. I cooked bigger meals and planned on leftovers. I stopped most homemade desserts and bread. Before I went the first day, I explained to husband and children that part of what I had always done would now need to be done by them. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 3:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I had to do it because I got divorced. You adjust and so do your kids. It was really hard in the begining but what has to get done, gets done. My daughter was 3 when I went back she is now 4 1/2 and she will tell you mommy goes to work to buy bread, cheese, toys, cookies....
    I talk to her about me working and when I get home from work, I try my best to devote time to her every day.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Have you looked in to working from home? There are many options. I have a list of the nation's top ten WAH Job companies if you would like it. You would still need to make time to work but you could do it from home, then maybe you wouldn't feel so overwhelmed... There is also the option of starting a home business. This is what I did. I stay home full time and work my business too... With my kids right under foot... Then there is the option of making money with EBay... There are a great number of DropShip companies that will allow you to sell their products and make a profit. They will even ship. I can help you out on all or any of that... Just PM me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Sabrina, i have used products for a company that does a wah program... i have recently tried to start it up as my business... i am new at it so i am floundering a bit... but i hope to have it going well by summer. if all works out and i can have it up and going and doing well at it, then we will take a cross country trip this summer... so i do have motivation.. just need to get working! thanks so much ladies for all your suggestions!
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I work from home for Tupperware and Diamond Creek Candles. It helps a lot.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2009