How easily do you give out your child's SSN on school documents?

I'm a little uneasy about giving her social to school for emergency contact form. It's a contact form so we can provide our names & phone numbers in case of an emergency at school. If we are unable to be reached then we have to list 2 other people the school can call. If anything happens the school needs to call me or her father and we'll be there ASAP. Or God forbid we'll be at the hospital just as fast or faster. So why does the school need the number for their files? Maybe I'm just paranoid since seeing shows about ID theft and kids credits being ruined before they hit college.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2012 in

• I don't think I ever had to give social security numbers for their emergency cards...that seems unnecessary. I'd ask them why.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• I've never been asked for their SS# on emergency contact forms. But, I've always given the number on the school documents which asked for them.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• I give on the emergency form, but that is it...of course that's all I'm asked for it on.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• I don't put it on anything.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• I Missouri we can opt out on our DL and they assign a random number. We can do it in our schools too. Most do not know it but I do it everytime for DGS
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• I have never been asked for her social at school? I provide a copy of her medical card and we sign the right to treat waiver, the doctor and hospital already ahve her social.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• they ask for it on the student info. at ds's school. i'm hesitant about it.
    i'm super hesitant about giving it on job apps...i don't know those companies, and i certainly don't know the people who handle the apps, online or paper. i have left it blank with online apps, and found some won't continue without it. pisses me right off!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• @ohwrite, I plan to ask. The important people that need it have it.
    @robinkane, I agree totally
    @Dardenella, DL?? DGS??
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• @dullscissors, I've seen it on job applications. Especially since a lot of employers do background & credit checks before they consider to hire. I didn't say I agree but know it happens.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

• I had to provide it to register my child, but I haven't had to provide it since. He is in middle school now. I wouldn't put it there.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2012