Why do I urinate when I cough or sneeze?

I am a 32 year old mother of 3 and I have been doing this for quiet some time. However, has got worse. I don't have an infection. So what could this be? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Health

• I think it is probably the "mother of 3" thing that did it to you unless it started before you had kids. Kegel excercises are suposed to help. I think I would try that for a while before calling the doctor.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• could be your bladder. my mom does things like that and her bladder had to be tacked up. may want to speak to a dr about it though
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I just had my first child and I'm having that problem. My doctor put me on medication, which seems to help a bit, Vesicare. If you have a prolapsed bladder they can do surgery to correct it, but they suggest waiting until you're done having kids. Ask your doctor about it!
    Anonymous

• Yep. Your a mom.
    This is called stress incontinence and it is very common in mothers. Try kegel exercises. And when you do sit down to pee, stop peeing once or twice while you are going. That will help strenghten those muscles.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Your sphincter (the muscle around the opening of your urinary tract) is weak and therefore pressure, like coughing, pushes urine out. You could have a urinary tract infection which could cause and irritated sphincter and that will resolve if you treat the uti. You could also just have some weak muscles after having 3 kids and passing 30. Check out keagle excercises to tighten things up. If that doesn't work, there are incontinence centers at hospitals that work with that. Insurance pays if your plan covers it.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• there's "weights" to help the kegel exercises do more. PM me if interested and I can let you know where to get them/ how they work/ etc
    ryras_mommy

Answer by ryras_mommy at 5:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009