my son isn't talking yet?

what can i do to help my son to start talking like a 2 year old does he says mommy daddy bottle cup i just need help on how i can help my son to start talking more

M.H.J.CMama0407

Asked by M.H.J.CMama0407 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe talk to him more. Trying reading to him. Maybe some interaction with other kids around his age.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I just try to make him say things... Jesse is 15m and still nothing... He is so stuborn... But he doesnt point eather, he just gos and gets it, if he cant do it himself he gives up... Im up in the air about the whole ordeal...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I had the same problem with my son. At three years old, he still is barely talking and he's way below he's age level. We have to really listen to understand him. Do you have any speech therapy available? I had my son evaluated and he qualified for speech therapy and will be starting soon.
    Anonymous

• I incorporate my daughter in everything, I'm always talking to her telling her what I am doing ...she is 18 months and I have been talking to her like she is a adult since forever...I don't really do the baby talk. Also read books to him. If your truly concerned talk to your ped about it.

MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Your profile says you are in "cali". If you mean California, then contact your local First 5 office and arrange an evaluation. It's free. http://www.ccfc.ca.gov/
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I read and talk to my 21 month-old daughter all the time and still felt she wasn't talking as much as she should. We have Comcast Cable, which has several educational segments for babies On Demand called Baby Boost. I have found DVDs that have been featured and my daughters vocab is up to 50+ words from 6 weeks ago. We have had the best luck with Talking Hands and the Bee Smart Baby Vocabulary Builder DVDs. Good Luck!!
    BenEmmaMom

Answer by BenEmmaMom at 6:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Call EARLY iNTERVENTION IN YOUR sTATE IT'S FREE IF HE NEEDS THE SERVICE ONCE THEY EVALuate him in your home
    Anonymous

• If he isn't saying at least 50 words (by 2), doesn't make eye contact, throws MANY long tantrums, and has some sort of repetitive behavior, it may be autism. If it's just his language, does he hear you? Try calling his name from another room, or clapping and see if he comes or looks. If not, get his ears checked. Or, he might just be behind. Talk to him, read, and see if it improves. The best advice I can give is go to your pediatrician and explain the issue. They will be able to help you and guide you to the right services, if needed.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009