We want to name our son (due in June) a certain name, but sister in-law said she claimed it first...

My DH and I are in love with a name for our baby boy who is due in June. The problem is, my DH's sister says she picked it first. My DH's sister and her husband are not even expecting yet... Is it wrong to name our baby with that name? Or should we just move on to another?? The name is Vinny btw.

hipmommaCLB

Asked by hipmommaCLB at 3:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was convinced that I was going to name my son Jack.....until I got pregnant with a boy. then i hated it lol. So go ahead and use the name. Who is to say that she will even like it by the time she gets pregnant? This isn't kindergarden where you get to call dibs on your favorite seat! Thats the thing about babies and names....it's hard to not copy someone! There is a couple at our church that had their little girl six months after ours. I am not kidding you: they loved our daughter's name so much (emma grace) that they named their little girl the exact same thing. i just took it as a compliment. They could both be vinny with different middle names and go by nick names. Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i would name it that. what if they dont even have a baby?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• She claimed it first? Is there a law somewhere that tells us we can call names? Sheesh. If that is the name you really want then use it. But it's going to cause drama. Is it worth it?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If you love it, then take it. IF you really did come up with it first and didn't steal it from her... Who knows, by the time she gets pregnant and what not, she could have a girl and forget all about it. I would just use it and tell her you had it first. You probably aren't telling, but what name? I'm having a gril so I won't steal it!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would name the baby that since you had the baby first.
    But if it is going to be a drama event in the family than maybe pick another name.
    Or draw the name out of a hat and who ever picks it gets to claim it.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Vinny!
    hipmommaCLB

Answer by hipmommaCLB at 3:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Is it a family name? I guess it depends how strongly you feel about naming your child that vs. how much crap you are likely and willing to put up with from SIL over it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If she told you the name, saying that she was going to name her child that, then you shouldn't use it. On the other hand, if she didn't tell you the name, then you have complete rights to it.

Answer by Bmat at 3:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think the SIL would get over it! Seriosuly, it's not like she's pregnant and its a race to see who can name the baby that first.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Witch ever couples baby comes first. Gets to claim the name. Sense she (SIL) is not even pregnant or due. You call you son Vinny. Tell her to use the name as a middle name.
    How can she claim a name and she is not even pregnant?

Answer by louise2 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2009