Has anyone been put under (to sleep) while having a csection?

I cant have a spinal due to back surgery. If I have to have a csection I will have to be put to sleep. I wont get to hear the babies first cry and my husbacnd wont get to see the delivery.
Has anyone else been put under for thier csection?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes and I hated it. Mine was due to an emergency. I felt like I didn' t know what was going on (because I didn't). I remember looking at the guy holding the gas on my face and then the next thing I knew I woke up in the recovery room. I didnt' know if my son was alive or where he was. I was in there for a hour without seeing him. I knew at this point he was with his dad but it killed me that I could not see him. They kept saying "in a hour." Then, when I got in the room, everyone was in there and I didn't get any alone time with the baby. The medicine made me so sleepy that I couldn't stay awake to even carry on a conversation or hold the baby for long. My throat was all raspy and hurt from the breathing tubes.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I havent had to have that option used on me, but my sister in law has. With her first daugther they had to put her under with general anesthesia. She was sad that she missed the first little bit, but was happy to have a nice healthy baby. She has a bleeding disorder called "von willebrands" so thats why she cant have a spinal/epidural. Hopefully you wont need a c section!
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 3:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i had to be put out because it was a emergency c section. Yes you miss hearing your baby cry for the first time and you wake up in recovery depending on your hospital some will actually bring the baby to you in recovery ours did. It wasnt the best but i was just glad to have a happy healthy baby. Try not to stress to much about it because in the end a happy healthy baby is what matters most.
    Anonymous

• my first c section was an emergency and they had to knock me out- i hated the way it felt because when ur trying to wake up from it ur all groggy and just cant get it together but at the same time- it seems like the time in recovery goes faster cause ur so loopy but u know i cant decide which was worst- me being put out or my back being stabbed with a needle lol-
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Yes I did and I feel like I missed out on so much. For the first day I was so out of it I didnt want to hold him for the fact that i THOUGHT THAT i would drop him.
    vickyburns

Answer by vickyburns at 4:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2009