• In the Spotlight:

What Do You Use For Severe Diaper Rash?

My daughter is teething and with that she always gets a severe rash. I usually use A&D (my Doc recommended) but I was wondering what works for you. Does anyone have a homemade cream?

jspy72

Asked by jspy72 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For most of my kids... regular classic A&D worked.....

For Alex... we use the A&D with Zinc Oxide.

I had a neighbor who "made" her own diaper cream but all she did was mix A&D classic, with Balmex (ah... A&D with.... Zinc oxide).

An alternative to wipes... I saw this in Parenting or Parents back in the 90's.... paper towels and baby oil..... I just stick with pampers unscented. My Mom swears by a plain washcloth with warm water.

If it doesn't clear up or starts getting worse, I'd haul them in as it could be yeast related (especialy if they've been on an antibiodic).

Mom2jngnc

Answer by Mom2jngnc at 9:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Our doc told us to use Butt Paste and it seriously works magic. It's kinda expensive, but totally worth it. Good Luck. Diaper rashes suck.
    CA_Mom_of_2boys

Answer by CA_Mom_of_2boys at 3:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Jack-e used to get really bad rashes when he was a baby. We took him to the doc and they said it was actually a yeast infection. We then used foot fungus stuff (an anti-yeast cream) which took it away in a day.
    stanmom

Answer by stanmom at 3:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I also used A&D and I would wash his butt often with soap and water. I would also use a washcloth to wipe him instead of wipes.
    momof3jll

Answer by momof3jll at 3:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I use corn starch. It is pretty inexpensive, and works wonders for both of my children.
    Best of luck, diaper rash is terrible!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• well it depends on if its a yeast diaper rash or just your regular diaper rash.
    we used on my son Aquafor works wounders plus we would lay a blanket down and let him be naked for a while so that the air could get to his butt.
    also corn starch works great to but if its a yeast diaper rash you dont wana use corn starch.
    if its a yeast rash you may need a precribition creme from your dr for it.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I always found what worked best with a bad rash was to leave her naked =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• naked baby time and desitin always has worked for these two. i also have stopped using all baby wipes...i rinse soft papertowels in warm water and use those instead. bounty is good. soft yet the thickness of a wipe. even the sensitive pampers wipes have been giving vinny a rash i noticed lately. it's odd, never used to. he woke up with a little rash, so i'm in the same boat. :(
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 4:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Let baby run free! It always helps to air out the rash. Then when you need to put a diaper on I always used huggies diaper cream. Hope we have helped you out. And hope baby's booty feels better soon.
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 4:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My sister works in a clinic and they suggest using Crisco (or another shortening)! I'd take some out of the can and put it in a baggy to use especially for this so we weren't contaminating the whole container. We did this with one son and kept calling him "lard butt". lol I've also used Desitin, and naked time (which is harder in the winter!). Lots of baths, but not too hot! And yes, make sure it isn't a yeast infection. The athlete's foot medicine does work for those.
    Junecleo

Answer by Junecleo at 4:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009