Am I doing something wrong?

Okay...my little guy is sorta colicky and so I try to be as patient with him as possible...the pediatrician said that it was okay to lay him down to cry it out sometimes if I've done everything else for him and he still is screaming...so I did and within a couple minutes, he's out...but now...it seems as if he prefers to be laid down in his crib instead of being rocked or held...it kind of makes me sad because I don't want him to think that I don't care or love him and so I just don't know...maybe it's an early sign of independence in some way? Is there anything I should do or maybe it's the new mommy in me and I shouldn't worry about it? Help!

newirishmommy

Asked by newirishmommy at 4:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry about this. In fact, as the mother of an almost 2-year old who can't yet go to sleep on her own, I am jealous! You are setting up a good pattern here. It is good that he is learning that he can take care of this own needs. It means that he is growing up. Give him extra cuddles when he's awake, although I know that there is nothing quite like looking at a sleeping baby in your arms.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• IMO. You should be happy you have some time to your self. I have heard mom's on here that can't lay there kids down at all without them crying. IMO

Answer by louise2 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If you are attentive to your son during the day and he knows you will be there when he needs you, I don't think you have a problem.
    lvaughn26

Answer by lvaughn26 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would say he is gaining independence. It is most likely a coincidence that it happened right when you were letting him CIO. I understand the mixed feelings though. I have to just set my son down sometimes too because he doesn't want to cuddle with me. On one hand it's like YAY he can lull himself asleep and on the other you feel like you want him to still want to cuddle all the time! I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think he's just getting used to the fact that he can fall asleep on his own!!!
    jcory87

Answer by jcory87 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I can understand how you feel. My daughter was also colicky so for the first four months we had to rock her constantly and then she just become accustom to being rocked to sleep. Then one day when she was around 8 month she did not want me to rock her anymore. I was heartbroken because I really enjoyed rocking her to sleep. You just have to think of it as gaining some of your independence back. Just try and enjoy the times that he is up and wants you to play with him.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 4:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Mine was the same way. I longed for that peaceful "rock your baby to sleep" moment. But she wanted nothing to do with it. Oh well. What she wanted and needed was far more important than what I needed and wanted.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If you think that you leaving the baby in the crib to cry it is mean then just pick him up so that you don't feel guilty about it later. When small babies cry its because they need something. I would wait until hes a little older to leave him in the crib to cry it out . If my daughter was fussy she would get a nice baba of breast milk or formula, even if she just had 2 babas because all of the sudden they just need alot more to eat so even though you might think you've exhausted everything they really just need another baba. - i speak from experience one day I just couldn't figure it out and that was the trick. Try that the next time he's fussy. Around four months my daughter went from 5 ounce feedings to 7 or 8.
    hd147

Answer by hd147 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• wow...didn't think of that...geez...yeah he's at 4 ounces already...lol...my lil chunky monkey....
    newirishmommy

Answer by newirishmommy at 8:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009