Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do I ned a Lawyer at a Custody hearing? Please read!! Thank u!

The run down.. Husband had a early Midlife Crisis and cheated, turned into a monster. He left me and our daughter.  Had us moved out of housing when he was out of town. I had to get my family to help. Left me with no car. Turned my cell phone off.

He Shows very little interest in DD He moved all the money out of our accounts Gave me $400 a month/ says Army while I was in Military housing Paid the rent with BAH/he is military I had to get Temp custody of our daughter to get Child/Spousal Support. So we did mediation. he gets her every 2 weeks 7amSat-6pmSun. He changed it to 9amSat-6pmSun. and was mad I asked him to take her to ballet/Gymnastics on his day I needed.

BasicallyI have been doing it all while he has been running around being unfaithful and treating me like crap. He's behind on his child support but got a lawyer???? 3 judges told him to pay up. so now at the custody hearing I have to get the back support looked at too. I have a lawyer and he said I was good to go Because I have been the stable parent.

I feel like he's trying to fight me for her. I mean we could have sat down and come to an agreement. He did say he would keep me wraped up in court. Along with that he started wearing his wedding ring again and wants to play nice all of a sudden.

Any input?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2012 in General Parenting

Answers (15)
  • short answer yes.

    Answer by Dardenella at 6:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • I would

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 6:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • Yes, I don't think he realizes that once you are divorced you can't live in military housing anymore (unless you are also military). I say get that lawyer.

    Answer by AF4life at 6:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • Sounds like it could get ugly...definitely a lawyer.

    Answer by meooma at 6:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • get a lawyer

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • I have already moved to a new place and my mom bought me a new car, but it blows my mind he would do this when he knows he has been doing everything he can to make things hard for me to take care of our daugther. Even the 3 Judges we have seen think so.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • Get or keep your attorney and keep a journal of all interactions with him. If he tries to contact you directly and not through your attorney, have him email or text you as you can keep these things for record. IME, when someone changes how they are acting they are doing it to make themselves look better.


    Answer by QuinnMae at 6:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • There's too much at stake not to get a lawyer. Better safe than sorry.

    Answer by Ballad at 6:51 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • Quinne.. He was a great husband before his Midlife Crisis, but since he has been a cheating, sneaky, liar. After all the nasty stuff he has done to me and our child. I'm not surprised at the change now that it's time to go to court. I was told by my lawyer I have the upper hand since I have been there for our DD. He doesn't even like to drive to the town I live in. Which is 35 mins away no traffic to pick her up, yet he wants to make this custody thing into something. It's also about money, the court gave me a nice Spousal support payment. I know he's mad about that.


    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

  • absolutly

    Answer by olivia2310 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.