My 4-mo old is sleeping less instead of more

My 4 month old used to sleep 6 hours straight then wake up to eat 2 oz of milk. and now all of the sudden she wakes up every 3 hrs or sometimes 2 hrs, only to eat 1 oz of milk and doze off again. what can i do to make her sleep longer?

SHY_GIRL89

Asked by SHY_GIRL89 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she's 4 months, it's normal to wake up up a couple times a night at that age. try a binky.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Even though plenty of people say not to do this, I just started adding 2-3 teaspoons of rice cereal to my 4 month old's last bottle of the evening. Last night he slept for 4 1/2 hours before waking up. I nursed him for just a few minutes and he fell back asleep for another 2 hours. He had been waking up every 2 hours before I started doing this. I think it's because he is getting bigger and is hungrier. I've only been trying the rice cereal for a couple of days but so far I think it's working well.
    mrs_morango

Answer by mrs_morango at 4:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• She may be going through a growth spurt. I would try feeding her more formula before she falls asleep or maybe some cereal or something just to fill her tummy up a little bit more so she won't be hungry in 3 hours. Also how hard does she cry when she wakes up after 3 hours? Are you sure she's hungry or just a normal nighttime wake up that she may be able to fall back asleep without feeding (since she only drinks 1 ounce) How about a passy? Maybe she just needs that sucking action to lull herself back to sleep. Hope this helps!!
    jcory87

Answer by jcory87 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Well she doesn't really cry she just complains and moans until i pick her up. She also sleeps with me because mu husband's away. But i tried the pacifier and it only makes it worse, she then gets really mad and cries until i put the bottle in her mouth.
    SHY_GIRL89

Answer by SHY_GIRL89 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2009