Gay?! Did you tell anyone else!?

What would your response be if your child told you they were gay? How about your SO's reaction?!

Beautiful_Mess

Asked by Beautiful_Mess at 8:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2012 in General Parenting

• I would tell them that I love them and just want them to be happy. DH's reaction might be a bit different, he seems to think that he can make sure to raise our son to not be gay. <--- Clearly I do not agree. I know that he would eventually come to terms with it, but it would take him a while.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• I would be Absolutely fine with it, dh would be a little upset but he would love em just the same.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• I would give them a big hug and let them know that my love for them was unchanged.

I don't think my husband would be as accepting. His church frowns on homosexuality.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• It would take a minute to sink in, but I would love my child no matter what. My husband would feel the same. No I would not tell anyone, else it is not my place.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• I wouldnt have any reaction. They are still my child. I will love them either way. Now if my DS said he was gay to his dad, he would flip out big time he's totally against men loving other men but fine with women loving other women. I dont get his logic
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• same as it was, I dont understand it but I will learn to, I love you!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• LostSoul88- it's probably the ick factor.

I could not care less- the father's well...whatevs- they would have their mother's love
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• My response would be: "And?"

Seriously, I would not have cared. Neither would hubby. His little sister is gay. It's no big deal.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• It wouldn't matter in that it would not effect my love for him/her or my treatment of them.

It would, however, be heartbreaking for me as a mother knowing what battles and struggles would lie ahead. There is a lot of progress left to make in our society before the hatred and bigotry is not so prevalent and defining in the lives of the LGBT community.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 8:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• It's a non-issue in my book. My SO's only concern is if our son continues to shares his love of working on cars...that would crush him more than our son's orientation!
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2012