I need help ASAP! Mandatory homeschool help please

Ok so this has a very long story behind it and I am mainly needing to know about homeschooling, like can you purchase used curriculums online and follow them and keep records? I cannot afford to buy a very expensive kit or curriculum from an online school etc. I am needing. Help for the 8th grade...pretty much any advice would be a wonderful help, I can't get any info from local schools I have tried can someone point me in the right direction? Where do I start what are some musts that are required? Anything is helpful...thank you ladies in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• There are great homeschool groups here on CM. the women there are very knowledgable about the laws and resources in different states.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• I don't know where you are, but many cyber school are paid for by the districts. They even provide a computer and printer for the child's use.
    Try googling "Cyber schools in __" whatever state you are in.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• Thank you I have tried the onlines and one is 1200 in tuition and the other is booked for the grade I need help with :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• I homeschooled my two youngest sons. First you need to find out what the laws are in your state. Ilived in Wyoming for awhile. There you just fill out a one page form telling them you're homeschooling and what you're going to teach at the beginning of each school year. I am a native Californian. Here it's actually illegal to homeschool unless you have a teaching certificate, but there are legal ways around it.

My best advice is to find a local homeschool group. experienced homeschoolers will be able to point you in the right direction.

As for curriculum. It will partially depend on you states requirements. Otherwise. Ebay used to sell used textbooks with teachers manuals, but no longer allow teachers manuals to be sold there (at least they had quit, I'm not sure if they've begun selling them again or not). You may be able to find used curriculum from homeschoolers who have finished your grade level in your community.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Most homeschool groups will have an annual curriculum "swap meet" type meeting. Many have group p.e. days, some plan monthly educational themes, have book groups, and public speaking groups. A local homeschool group can be a great resource. You do need to find the right one for you. Some are centered around religion, others are just community homeschool groups. There are even charter schools for homeschooling.

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:25 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• The first thing you need to do is check your state's laws and make sure you comply with them. As far as curriculum, I don't buy one. I have the book Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year, which tells what the kids need to know from Pre-k through 12th grade. I use that and get online and either find free sources or create my own. Used curriculums are fine, as long as they either come with everything or you can create anything that is missing. But make sure you compare the pricing before you buy, to make sure you don't end up paying full price for a used one.

Definitely join a homeschooling group, it will be a huge help.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Definitely something you should have been looking into throughout the long summer months. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Meooma I would have been researching this info in the summer months had I known this was what I had to do, this sorta thing happen when you are dealing with sorry school system that don't bother to inform you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2012

• What you need to do is very dependent on the laws where you live. While in most states, yes you can buy used curricula, the record keeping requirements are going to vary greatly depending on the state you live in (assuming you are in the US).
    sha_lyn68

Answer by sha_lyn68 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2012