Inducing with prostaglandin gel?

my doctor is going to do this over the weekend and induce with iv drip on monday but I was wondering can the gel itself put you into labor? What was your experience with this? thanks

babybump3166

Asked by babybump3166 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i don't think it can... it just ripens you and gets things going. my best friend had this.. and not to freak you out... but she never got past 4 cm and they had to do a c section... i have had other friends that went through this and it worked fine! any time you are induced the chance of a c section is greater. I have been induced 2 times and my labor and delivery were perfect..

how exciting for you good luck with your lo!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 4:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I had this with my first baby, 16 years ago, and I went into labor a few hours later. They were going to do the drip, but I was already having contractions. He was born that evening.
    I think it's a gentler way to kick your body into labor, before going to the IV meds. Good Luck!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• it did not work for me at all. It didnt make me have contractions, it didnt dialate or efface me either. It just didnt work. My sister and one of my best friends both also had to have it.. and it worked like a charm for both. They had it put on, and within hours they were in good labour, both having their babies within 6 hours. It works for some, while it doesnt work for others. Good luck.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 9:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• the gel ripens your cervix....meaning it gets it ready to dialate. So, if your cervix is not ready to ripen the gel will not put you into labor and that is why they start the iv drip after they have used the gel to get your cervix ready. But if your cervix and your body are ready to go into labor anyway then the gel can kick start labor on it's own. It completly depends on whether your body is ready for labor or not. Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009