Why do women think every decision on parenting is their choice?

I'm mainly referring to circumcision here. I just read a blog post about how the mother was 'never going to circumcise my boys." And that she "showed him evidence as to why we shouldn't" referring to her husband. I'm sorry, but why is that only her decision? She states her husband wanted it done and that she, essentially, talked him out of it because she didn't want to do it to her sons.

Really?? With what little decisions dads get when regarding childbirth/newborns she couldn't let him have this one thing?? Why does she think she has the right to make that decision on her own?

Things like this make my blood boil.

SaraD1989

Asked by SaraD1989 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• The choice goes to the one(s) who did the research. She did the research. If he really cared about it, he could do the same research for his point of view. There's plenty of it out there.

"Because that's what I want" or "because I said so" simply isn't enough when there's a disagreement.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• And what happens if he did do the research and he's very much for it? And he doesn't have to really do research on the topic-his beliefs are his beliefs and she should respect them. Just because she thinks it's hurting her kid doesn't mean that's solely her choice.

The point is, this woman blatantly said SHE was never going to circumcise her sons. If you're going to co-parent with somone than it's BOTH of those people's decisions. Not just hers.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• That was the one decision I left up to my DH... I trust him on this one... after all he actually has the equipment!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• i agree with gdiamante.
    Its like when I had my son, I did all the research and thought it was good to get done for my son. The my ex did not want to do he refused to llok at the research, refused to listen to the midwife who recommended it. He thought it will make his penis smaller when he's older and claimed he had proof but never provided it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2012

• I agree, Crafty. I didn't have a partner to consult with when I had my son but if I have more sons I will definitely let their dad make that choice.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I'm very much for it, but that doesn't matter here.

The point is that it shouldn't just be her decision. What if this dad was very much for formula feeding so he could be close to the baby too. He did all the research on it and thought it was best, is that solely his decision? No.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I disagree with you *all*.

Not YOUR penis. Not YOUR choice.

There is no routine medical indication for MGM.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:04 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I made the choice, dh could of cared less either way
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Ditto Crafty on this one! Also I totally see your point and agree with you SaraD, parenting when it involves 2 parents, should be mutual decisions not just "what mom says goes." my dh and I try to do this all the time but it is sad to see some situations where one parent is the dominant decision maker and doesn't take the other parent's point of view into consideration.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Really? You honestly think an adult male is going to get circumcised? No. Men don't walk into a doctor's office and discuss their forskin. Not to mention that it hurts so much more when their an adult. As opposed when their babies they don't even remember that it happened.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Aug. 26, 2012