Why do women think every decision on parenting is their choice?

I'm mainly referring to circumcision here. I just read a blog post about how the mother was 'never going to circumcise my boys." And that she "showed him evidence as to why we shouldn't" referring to her husband. I'm sorry, but why is that only her decision? She states her husband wanted it done and that she, essentially, talked him out of it because she didn't want to do it to her sons.

Really?? With what little decisions dads get when regarding childbirth/newborns she couldn't let him have this one thing?? Why does she think she has the right to make that decision on her own?

Things like this make my blood boil.

SaraD1989

Asked by SaraD1989 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• What I don't understand is this: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1232390/I_dont_think_you_should_compromise_when_it_comes_to_parenting

"No child of mine will ever be vaccinated again."  <---- I don't see how you are any different than the woman you're talking about here, who is making your blood boil.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:42 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I agree with the first poster, this decision should be left for the informed parent, not the emotional one.

Answer by older at 4:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I think that things should be a decided together, with both parents (assuming they're both in the picture).
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Really? You honestly think an adult male is going to get circumcised? No. Men don't walk into a doctor's office and discuss their forskin. Not to mention that it hurts so much more when their an adult. As opposed when their babies they don't even remember that it happened"

I dated a guy who chose to have it done when he was 18. It was a much mroe serious, painful procedure. He wished his parents had had it done when he was a baby.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:31 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Every choice or decision should not just be made by the mother. A child has two parents not one.
    ginamom512

Answer by ginamom512 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• You are right it should not be her decision only, but since it is something that cannot be undone then the default is to not do it until it is medically necassary. That is how I feel about all decisions made regarding my children. If we can not agree on something then we default to the lest disruptive/able to be undone etc.

You are also not in her relationship and some people do not feel this way. If the father objected then it is his place to let her know NOT anyone else's place to butt into their relationship and how decide to handle things like this.

It does NOT hurt more as an adult then as a child that is a blatant lie. There are just as many nerve endings there as an infant just because they don't remember it does NOT mean it doesn't hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Every parenting decision is made by my husband and me.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Anon-a newborn's nerves are not developed as a grown man's is.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Circumcision is a totally unnecessary procedure and, as such, shouldn't even be a choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• I find parents should have equal say in all health matters. This is certainly a health matter. I have no "side" to this issue where I stand. However, I do not view circumcision as cosmetic. The Amercan Pediatrics group has come out listing health reasons for why chosing circumcision is benefitial. There is no official stand by them that I know of. Only to provide information. At this point I believe it should be both parents who agree, it should be covered since the medical community still sees the medical benefits, and no pressure on parents either way. The pediatric group did advocate for better local pain medication which to me is a good thing to advocate for. We generally accepted the idea of well they won't remember it. True perhaps, but still....no one should be in unnecessary pain if there are reasonable measures to take to reduce it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2012