Why do women think every decision on parenting is their choice?

I'm mainly referring to circumcision here. I just read a blog post about how the mother was 'never going to circumcise my boys." And that she "showed him evidence as to why we shouldn't" referring to her husband. I'm sorry, but why is that only her decision? She states her husband wanted it done and that she, essentially, talked him out of it because she didn't want to do it to her sons.

Really?? With what little decisions dads get when regarding childbirth/newborns she couldn't let him have this one thing?? Why does she think she has the right to make that decision on her own?

Things like this make my blood boil.

SaraD1989

Asked by SaraD1989 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Really? It makes your blood boil. The mom is only trying to protect her child from being mutilated. Genital mutilation should never be the choice of the parents. I will fight tooth and nail if anyone, including my DH, tries to take my child and have a healthy and functional part of his body chopped off.
    VanessaCB

Answer by VanessaCB at 12:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2012

• Another thing is this. OP, you see circumcision as a parenting choice. This woman obviously sees circumcision (mutilation) as child abuse, and possibly a human rights violation. You would do anything to protect your child from someone abusing him/her, right? That's all this mother is doing.
    VanessaCB

Answer by VanessaCB at 12:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2012

• You must be that mom I read in the blog Vanessa! Nice to meet you-you're an idiot.
    SaraD1989

Comment by SaraD1989 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2012

• Dude, mom's know. Don't question other mothers, manage your own life.
    OenophiliaMama

Answer by OenophiliaMama at 10:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2012

• It came out of me, I make the decisions.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 6:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I think that the conversations should happen before children come into the picture. After you're pregnant, you ought to know the stances of the person you are having a child with.

In this case, I think she should win. It is something that the child can choose to do later, but it is not something that can be undone. The same way with vaccines and other things you can do later, but you can't undo once they're done.

Ideally, parents would be on the same page and in agreement before they are having a baby.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:28 PM on Sep. 25, 2012