Are cats hard to take care of?

I've never had a kitty before but DD loves cats. I think they're pretty freaking adorable too lol. DH and I were thinking about surprising her and adopting a kitty for her birthday, but I really know nothing about them. We also have a dog. Would that be a problem? Our dog is almost 8 years old and she's really sweet.

Hollyhock.

Asked by Hollyhock. at 12:29 AM on Aug. 26, 2012 in Pets

• Compared to dogs, cats are a breeze to take care of. Just make sure they are fed, have fresh water, and their litter box gets scooped out daily (and changed/cleaned at least weekly) and you should be good. Most do not need baths, nor do most DSH's need any sort of grooming because they can take care of that themselves...although DMH's and DLH's will need occasional brushing to keep the fur looking good. They are just like dogs in that they need regular vet care, vaccinations, and preventative meds as needed. They are very independent in that they don't usually need your constant attention and acceptance like a dog typically does.

There should be no problem between cat and dog...just make sure there is strict supervision until you are sure how they will be with each other. And be sure to keep dog away from kitty litter box because they love the little "treats" the kitties leave behind!! YUCK
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:36 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Not really. THey can pretty much take care of themselves as long as they have food, water and a litter box. The only thing you have to do is clean out the litter box and make sure it's brushed.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 12:31 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Black cats tend to get along with other pets well and are super friendly.

LMAO! Are you serious? The color of an animal does not determine it's temperament!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:49 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Food and water access at all times, and decide whether you will let him or her go outside to do their business, or if you want a litter box.
    Cats are super easy, but if you get a long haired cat, remember you need to brush them at least once a week to help prevent matting.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:34 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• They are easy to take care of as long as you are able to feed them fresh water daily, canned food at least twice a day and leave dry food out for in between snacking. If you're not sure about how the cat gets along w/ the dog, you can always ask the animal rescue group if you can do a 2 wk trial and they usually let you. Alternatively, you can foster a cat and if you decide you like that particular cat & it gets along well w/the dog, then you can ask to permanently adopt. If not, you'll be doing a huge service by letting the cat stay w/you until it finds a home. Usually all medical needs are taken care of by the animal rescue group while in your foster care. It's a win-win situation. I would recommend an older cat since they tend to be more mellow and require less attention. Black cats tend to get along with other pets well and are super friendly. I have 6 cats and it's really like taking care of only 2 cats...
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:41 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Nope. Just clean the kitty litter regularly and keep food and water out. Just keep an eye on their ears, because they can get mites, and a sign of that is a build up of dark wax, but yearly vet visits once they hit a year old and the food/water/litter thing is all, really. The cats cost less to vet than our dog does, too. Baby kittens usually go every three weeks until they get to about 12 or 16 weeks - we have a 12 week old we've taken twice now and he goes back again one more time before his six month checkup and to get fixed. Make sure a baby is given dewormer, too. I can't say that introduction with the dog will be super easy, because it depends on the dog, but our dog, we just gated into an area of the house until the cats got comfortable enough to enter the area, it didn't take but a few days with either cat, and she does really well with each of them, plays really gentle with them, etc, so it could work. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• P.S. I would wait until after the birthday to introduce the cat to the home b/c cats usually don't like noise and need time at first to get used to the noises of your home. Perhaps, just put a photo of a cat inside a birthday card & tell your daughter that you'll pick up the cat on the weekend. If you decide to let your daughter pick a cat, I highly suggest you steer her toward the friendliest, older cat. Those usually do well with dogs & other pets. General daily maintenance also includes cleaning the litter box out and making sure you baby-proof the house--no strings, tacks, screws, needles, small ingestable objects left around and move breakable objects like vases, picture frames on shelves, and most plants be hidden temporarily (lilies, onions and onion family are poisonous to pets). Do NOT ever declaw a cat! Some people don't know that it involves breaking their bones and all u do is trim the claws. Invest in cat posts.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:51 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• And yes, some color do tend to predict their temperament. I've worked with animal rescue groups for over 2 decades and over 2,000 pets. I think I know a little something about pets.

I would also recommend keeping the cat as an inside cat since that keeps them healthier. Less problems like fleas, ticks, cat/wild animal fights to worry about and thus, less medical expenses for you.

Thank you for wanting to adopt a pet and I sincerely hope you consider local pet shelters and animal rescue groups. Most pets I have worked with from there have been an absolute joy to handle. You can feel free to direct msg me if you have any further questions.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Not really, cats are self sufficient, all you gotta do is feed them and change the litter
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 3:01 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Cats can and will jump on your kitchen table and walk all over your countertops. If having a animal who plants its paws in an urine/feces litter box then those same paws are prancing all over your food preparation, cooking and eating spaces isn't a problem for you, it may work. It DID NOT work for me. Cat was rehomed.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2012